cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wall sockets

jessb12873
Tuning in

I’ve just moved into this flat and had my wifi delivered but I have no clue where I’m meant to plug it in! Here are all my options:  

E184B2F2-EA21-4180-BBB3-67A2AD47B2E4.jpeg

 Any help would be much appreciated thankyou! 

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Need a better quality photo of the sockets so we can see more detail on them

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hopefully this is clearer, thanks 

D487A0DB-F786-4B26-A27C-F4B15F3CE948.jpeg

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Top middle is possibly an F socket, but as picture is ‘straight on’ cannot say. Bottom middle looks like a TV socket. Top left is an NTL phone socket, bottom left is a BT phone socket. The two right hand sockets look like Ethernet. Have you looked elsewhere, perhaps at the other end of the Ethernet cables from those right hand sockets?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@jessb12873 wrote:

Hopefully this is clearer, thanks 

Bottom middle looks like it could be a F-connector plug pushed inside the back box and hiding behind the faceplate and just visible through the hole. Can you actually access this plug/socket (bottom/middle faceplate in the 2nd pic) or is it pushed back inside the box and loose?

Also post up a decent pic of the final bottom RHS box (included on the first photo, bottom RHS but missing on the second).

here is a photo of the bottom right one: 

7177050C-D41A-4D2B-8158-E85073280569.jpeg

 It won’t let me upload these pictures to actual quality because the picture is too big which is why I’m struggling to show these properly. However, this is the bottom middle socket again: 

5A1630A1-406E-4972-895D-91806595A841.jpeg

It has a spike similar to that of the isolator cable so i’m guessing it’s not that socket. It looks to be pushed inside the plate.

I also can’t see anything attached to the right hand side sockets like no wires or anything that I can follow.  

@jessb12873 wrote:

here is a photo of the bottom right one: 

 It won’t let me upload these pictures to actual quality because the picture is too big which is why I’m struggling to show these properly. However, this is the bottom middle socket again: 

It has a spike similar to that of the isolator cable so i’m guessing it’s not that socket. It looks to be pushed inside the plate.

I also can’t see anything attached to the right hand side sockets like no wires or anything that I can follow.  

Will need to wait for your pic's to be approved but I will make a guess that your VM cable could possibly be the middle/bottom cable and pushed inside the back box behind the faceplate.

Installers often seek to avoid drilling new holes for cables so they sometimes rip out an existing connection and take it over to for their own cable. It might be there was a TV aerial in that bottom/middle faceplate at one time before it was removed (or it could just be a broken TV aerial connection!).

Should be able to confirm/reject that idea with the next pic's when approved. Forum VIPs get to see the pic's early and may comment beforehand.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Behind the cracked faceplate (second pic in message #6, the very last photo posted) looks like you might find a connector that looks like the second photo here (just a short stub of cable with a plug on the end).

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Help-with-Hub-installation-Adapters-for-C...

If so, that could possibly be the VM connection. Sometimes with earlier installations, or installations that have been messed with in the past, that's all that's left behind.

Is there a plastic VM wall box outside your home, usually grey or brown (where the cable from the street comes to your building)? It may have VM branding on it or branding from one of the past cable TV companies. If there is can you trace the cable from that outside wall box to your property? If it matches up with the suggestion above then that could well be it.

If your flat is in a purpose-built block of flats then the incoming cable may arrive in a central telecoms cupboard which you probably won't have access to.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think the next move is to take off some of the faceplates to see what is behind them.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi jessb12873, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with completing the self installation. I think the best thing to do here would be to convert this visit to a manned installation. This will allow an engineer to come and get everything installed for you so they can ensure it's all plugged in to the correct boxes. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs