cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wall socket issue - doesn't match cables

amandammoura
Joining in

Hello, I am having issues to set up my kit as there are no wall socket at my home. The one is installed at my home doesnt match with cables provided in the kit.
I tried several times to call assistance but they always ask me about security password that i dont have. Contact via whatsapp is useless.. 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

theres a freephone number 0800 052 0422. You need option 4 to speak to retentions

or try this - 0800 0521734

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have the ability to post an image of the cables it may be useful. Sometimes a previous occupant has removed the wall box just leaving the cable, in which case you can puchase an adaptor from Amazon & the like & get on line.

Sometimes the previous occupant had Sky installed & replaced the cables with those connecting to a satellite dish. In this case you will need to ask for a manned install to reinstate the connection to Virgin's network.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

These are the two connectors I have at home. The two cables of first pics looks like TV connectors. And the other one on the wall it doesnt match with virgin cable. 

65b3d201-ecc7-4718-b5f1-114f80648d4c.jfif72d5d38a-2c8f-45a0-94c1-a8d6ed51ed4d.jfif

the one on the wall is a standard areal socket - the twin cable looks as thouhj it will fitthe hub but i doubt it will be useful as i think thats ssy - if shy was installed after VM then they likely cut the VM cable to feed there own from outside

start with this - hopefully you will find a box outside but expect the incoming cable to be cut - if so you need a tech

not all installs have an internal box

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - if there are non look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - as said it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

if you find a cable you need one of these to attach the cable that came with the quick start kit

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks. 
35250941-7af0-4993-b17a-1ba4e5a13116.jfifThe other cables (2) from the other wall i checked and it is connected to satellite TV. Should be this brown one?? 

thats VM - well its an old Telewest box but same thing - difficult to know what the 3 cables are other that the thin one is telephone and no longer needed - the input from the cabinet usually comes in at the bottom and would be under the gravel - but maybe they came from a driveway or a fence - so follow all those cables - the single one is favourite and see where that goes - normally that would go through the wall to the inside to an internal box or just a connection

Tony.
Sacked VIP

It went trough the wall and there is nothing on the other side of the wall. These cables go one to each flat (im in a flat complex). DO you think this one would be the one connected to virgin?72d5d38a-2c8f-45a0-94c1-a8d6ed51ed4d.jfif

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@amandammoura wrote:

It went trough the wall and there is nothing on the other side of the wall. These cables go one to each flat (im in a flat complex). DO you think this one would be the one connected to virgin?72d5d38a-2c8f-45a0-94c1-a8d6ed51ed4d.jfif

That is a standard rooftop antenna outlet & is not up to VM cable standards.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ok, thank you! I might need to call a technician to come and fix it. Just not being able to request it by phone. 
Thanks again!!

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

theres a freephone number 0800 052 0422. You need option 4 to speak to retentions

or try this - 0800 0521734

Tony.
Sacked VIP