cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb hub 4, dhcp

andrewmm
Fibre optic

I responded to this offer from virgin

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Want-to-get-your-hands-on-the-Hub-4/m-p/4...

Came to install it today

Seems a very similar GUI to the hub 3, 

BUT

I can not change the DHCP range,

tried all sorts of IP ranges in the GUI, always get error that HUB is using this address range !

I have various bits of kits that have a fixed IP address, that I can not change

so I need to change the IP address the Hub sits at, and the range it dishes out

I thought the Hub 4 had been around a while and was well debuged, not still having such a major bug,

I have been able to change IP range on all other Virgin hubs,

and obviously its meant to be there as its in the GUI

When will this be fixed ?

in the mean time can I return to the Hob 3  ?

22 REPLIES 22

lets dis agree on this 

Virgin are offering this on the user interface

as has been said , its a basic function

its evidently not a difficult function, they used to have it working, 

You think that Virgin should not fix this

I disagree, 

Thank you for your response,

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

basic function or not someone in VM towers has decided its not needed or whoever programmed the firmware got it wrong and its a bug it not working - either way it may or may not happen in the future - commenting on here is unlikely to change the time scale of that happening or not - VM mostly do not listen

you say you are on 350 shortly going to 500 then you have an answer to your problem if you dont want to add your own [better] router - go back to the hub3 - you will have to push them but they should re-activate it

you dont need the hub4 - it was asked what is it for - its for 1gig customers - its the only hub that supports 1gig non of the others have a config file 

you might disagree with all that and want to continue your crusade to get the firmware changed/bug fixed but lifes too short as a VM customer - accept what it is or move on

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank you Tony

As I said we will have to disagree,

I'm old and of the opinion that asking is allowed , and is not a crusade.

have a good day

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@andrewmm wrote:

Thank you Tony

As I said we will have to disagree,

I'm old and of the opinion that asking is allowed , and is not a crusade.

have a good day

i am also old and of the same opinion but have learned from many years trying to help on here that things generally are as they are - decisions are made for reasons that are not obvious to many but they are the decisions that suit the business model which is VM/LG and have to be accepted as its their company 

so we actually agree - its VM that dont

Tony.
Sacked VIP

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

So it went a bit like this...

hub could not change subnet LAN IP DHCP
customers we want to change the subnet LAN IP DHCP
firmware team OK DONE
customers No we want 192.168.1.1
firmware team No pick another thats for guest network
customers put guest network on another subnet
firmware team No
customers might as well remove change the subnet LAN IP DHCP
firmware team OK DONE and we leave the option in GUI because we can't be assed to remove it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Z92
Trouble shooter

Or, more likely

China: "All changes made to firmware, here's the invoice"

VM: "DHCP option is still in GUI, please remove"

China: "Statement of work didn't say to remove it from GUI so that is additional cost"

VM: "Leave it as is then"

From experience 😄

Actually are we sure that this is a general fault in the Hub 4's firmware for all of them or just something specific to this particular hub? Anyone else got a hub 4 they can pop into router mode and test?

If you have a DHCP server on your network that allows you to configure the net mask then why not open it up to include the range you want and 192.168.0.0/24 of the Hub4?

e.g. Your chosen subnet is 192.168.3.0/24 so use 192.168.0.0/22 to cover this. Then limit the DHCP range to 192.168.3.1 to 192.168.3.254.

good thought, 

good question

I assumed it was a general fault, 

can some one check there router please,