cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb hub 4, dhcp

andrewmm
Fibre optic

I responded to this offer from virgin

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Want-to-get-your-hands-on-the-Hub-4/m-p/4...

Came to install it today

Seems a very similar GUI to the hub 3, 

BUT

I can not change the DHCP range,

tried all sorts of IP ranges in the GUI, always get error that HUB is using this address range !

I have various bits of kits that have a fixed IP address, that I can not change

so I need to change the IP address the Hub sits at, and the range it dishes out

I thought the Hub 4 had been around a while and was well debuged, not still having such a major bug,

I have been able to change IP range on all other Virgin hubs,

and obviously its meant to be there as its in the GUI

When will this be fixed ?

in the mean time can I return to the Hob 3  ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you have a DHCP server on your network that allows you to configure the net mask then why not open it up to include the range you want and 192.168.0.0/24 of the Hub4?

e.g. Your chosen subnet is 192.168.3.0/24 so use 192.168.0.0/22 to cover this. Then limit the DHCP range to 192.168.3.1 to 192.168.3.254.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
It will never be fixed VM want to remove stuff that most people will not use.

You are free to get your own router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

PRFergy66
Tuning in

You seem to be quite tech savvy in wanting to change DHCP ranges, so you must have realised that the virgin supplied equipment is'nt really user friendly for anything more than plug and play.

I know its not what you want to do, but any cheap Asus or DLink router will give infinetly more control over the wireless and wired connections on your network.

I'm using an old RT66U Asus unit for total control over the network and IP addresses and guest networks are so easy to manage and stick especially when the virgin gear throws a wobbler.

Thank you 

I have the ability as you say to set up something else as the DHCP server,

but the hub will not move off the 192.168.0.1 address

thus if i move to a different sub net, then the router will not be access able

as you say, just about everything else on the network, including the printers, has a built in DHCP / Client / server option,

Why do virgin have such a simple feature broken ?

Why did they not notice this in there "testing" 

Question has to be ,

what's the advantage of the Hub 4 for me over the Hub 3 ?

Thank you for your honesty about the DHCP being unlikely to be fixed .

My gut after decades of Virgin , is you might be right.

"problem" with Modem mode, 

is speed / cost.

I'm on 350 M , moving soon to 500 , 

Finding a router than can really work at that speed , with a fire wall, is not cheap,

Now if Virgin were to give us  a discount for not using there thing, 

But the earth is not freezing over is it   😆

So, what does the Hub 4 give us over the Hub 3 ?

Fell like I have been "sold a pup" here.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@andrewmm wrote:

VM don't do testing much (we do testing but they mostly ignore us) as far as testing goes if you plug in a PC and get to google it works.

@legacy1 wrote:

@andrewmm wrote:

snip...

if you plug in a PC and get to google it works.

Which is it what most people want and are happy with!

Let's be honest here, I'll be one of the first to castigate VM if and when their dysfunctional system fall flat on its face, but consider that VM have some 5.5 million broadband customers, if you were in charge, how would you do things differently? The vast, vast majority just want a simple plug and play (plug and pray?) system for the least amount of money possible. Now as the supplier, you have a choice, a simple 'pound shop' router that'll work perfectly for 90-95% of your customers or another much more sophisticated one which costs you, say £20 more, (and multiply that up by 5-6 million), but which only 5% or so of your customers will appreciate!

Really if you want anything other than a basic internet connection to post your latest 'look what I had for lunch today' pictures on Facebook (incidentally, who the hell actually cares about such stuff?), then you aren't in the 95% and need to start looking at providing your own equipment to augment what VM provide.

Actually, honestly, if I were in charge, not sure I'd do anything too much different re. hardware - the complete BS that passes as an offshore customer service operation, well that just needs nuking from orbit - but that's another thing! 

Do I read this as you think setting DHCP is not basic ?

Ah well,

It used to half work in the Hub 3, 

worked fine in the Hub 2 

and in the NTLworld stuff that preceded this,

It strikes me that they have it in the settings, it should work.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@andrewmm wrote:

Do I read this as you think setting DHCP is not basic ?

Most people don't need to change it, basic as in most people will change it is VM way of thinking.

As previously said, why would 95% of people want to change it?  The people who want to change there network settings and modify bits will normally have their own network gear and have the Hub in modem mode.  Why would a car manufacture fit nitro to a car when 95% wont use it and the 5% will make their own mods 

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences