Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

unstable/unusable connection after local outage resolved

Hi - We had a local outage this morning which Virgin media claim was resolved a few hours later. Since then I have had unstable and intermittent connection that is just unusable, particularly for working from home 

My usual download speeds are +/-380 mb and upload +/-30mb, since the outage the download varies between 1mb and 150mb and upload is non-existent at 0.1mb

I usually run my superhub 3 in modem mode. I have restarted multiple times and have also done a factory reset and this has not resolved the issue

I can't get hold of anyone in Virgin Media to help further troubleshoot, I was kicked off a call after waiting on hold for 75 minutes!

The online equipment and fault checker varies between 'everything is working fine' to 'you have a fault' and I am now locked out from running this check anymore today as have exceeded the amount of checks I'm allowed to do in a single day (6) (?!?!?!)

Any ideas on what I can try to do to resolve this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: unstable/unusable connection after local outage resolved

Try a reboot to see if the Hub can renegotiate a better connection using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your connection again.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike, I've tried rebooting numerous times including removing PSU from wall socket for 10 minutes but unfortunately that hasn't worked. (I just tried again now)

I'm still getting almost 0mb upload speed which makes the connection unusable

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Give a factory reset a go using this exact method ...

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing.

Instructions for Hub 3

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once a steady white and no other lights are illuminated check your system again.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike, I followed your instructions to the letter and still no joy. My upload speed has registered as 0.24 mbps which is unusable for me

Is it possible that there is still a local fault that hasn't been fixed correctly but has not been recognised by Virgin Media? I had no issues whatsoever with my connection for 3 years until the local area fault this morning

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi seanbjack,

Sorry to see you've been having some issues with your connection,

I've been able to locate your account using your forum information and can see the area issue has been resolved, after going through diagnostics however  I have arranged a technician visit.

You can view the time and date of the appointment via your online account here

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos