cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

relocating master internet socket and removal of surpless VM faceplate and cabling

sfsd334
On our wavelength

Hi,

I believe the cost for a non fault call out is £25. Can you please advise on the below and state whether this could be done for this price:

I'm planning to do some decorating and want to move the VM master internet socket higher up the wall so it's away from the skirting board and next to the BT openreach box.
At the moment, I have a very large, ugly NTL faceplate over this connector. If I were to get this relocated then would the engineer fit a smaller VM faceplate over it?
For some reason, there's another separate square box with a connector next to this one wwhich I'm assuming is for a TV connection. I'm not sure why this wasn't included in the same faceplate as the internet socket. I don't use this so would like this socket completely removed along with any cabling outside.

In the next room, I have a second internet connector with a newer and smaller Virgin media faceplate over it that I don't use. This has a second connector in the faceplate as well which I'm assuming is for TV and is a much neater setup than above.
Would it be possible for the engineer to remove this faceplate and cabling completely at the same time? The VM cable comes through the same hole through the wall that the freeview TV antenna cable comes through. I'm not sure if it would be possible to remove this VM cable through the wall without damaging the freeview antenna cable?

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

they should do all you want for £25 - thats a fixed charge - not sure on the smaller box you want - all internal boxes are the same size afaik - the newer ones have the connector coming out on the front face at an angle rather than the connection at the bottom so do take up less room and look neater

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Perhaps if you posted some photos we could get a better idea of what needs to be done.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

sfsd334
On our wavelength

Hi, I've attached two photos below.

I'm blind so would you be able to be as descriptive as possible in your reply.
The first photo shows the NTL box on the left with the internet cable coming out from below and on the right of it is what I'm assuming to be another faceplate for a TV port re NTL?

The second photo shows the VM faceplate that I want removing in the other room.
There's a single stand-alone cable coming out of the wall on the left of this photo that I'm not sure what that is for so if you have any idea then could you mention that.
There's also three cables coming out of the same hole on the right, one of the cables goes into the VM faceplate, one is for the freeview arial but I'm not sure what the third cable is for. I've tried holding it in my hand so you can see it.

Thanks

NTL.jpgVM.jpg

Good Morning @sfsd334, thanks for your post on our Community Fourms

Thanks for the description and the pictures - they've uploaded perfectly for us

I'll drop you a private message and we can arrange for this to be booked in for you, for the flat fee of £25.00

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

sfsd334
On our wavelength

Hi David, I've already booked an engineer visit for this Wednesday. It may be helpful to add some notes to my booking mentioning that I'm blind and require relocation of VM internet cable higher up the wall with a smaller faceplate and removal of any and all other surpless cabling. I did mention this to the lady I spoke to on the phone but I'm not sure if she understood fully what I was saying 

Hi Sfsd334, thank you for getting back in touch to raise this to us - how did your appointment go?

Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help! 
All the best. 

Molly

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sfsd334 wrote:

Hi, I've attached two photos below.

I'm blind so would you be able to be as descriptive as possible in your reply.
The first photo shows the NTL box on the left with the internet cable coming out from below and on the right of it is what I'm assuming to be another faceplate for a TV port re NTL?

The second photo shows the VM faceplate that I want removing in the other room.
There's a single stand-alone cable coming out of the wall on the left of this photo that I'm not sure what that is for so if you have any idea then could you mention that.
There's also three cables coming out of the same hole on the right, one of the cables goes into the VM faceplate, one is for the freeview arial but I'm not sure what the third cable is for. I've tried holding it in my hand so you can see it.

Thanks

NTL.jpgVM.jpg

First picture. The Virgin outlet has one connection for combined TV/Broadband. The outlet next to it is an old Sky satellite outlet.

Second picture. The coax on the left definitely looks to be a Virgin cable, but is the type normally used outside of properties, so I don’t know why that is there. The NTL box next to it is an older version of the one in the first picture, this has 2 connections which are capped off with screw terminators. The one on the right is for TV/Broadband. The one on the left is for analogue FM radio, & is now disused. The twin cable I would think goes to rooftop antennas. One for Freeview & one for FM radio, or though without actually seeing what is on the roof I would not be able to confirm.

Any cable that enters the house from Virgin’s network must have a safety isolator attached that prevents damage to Virgin’s & your equipment from voltage surges on the street network. This is what these white boxes contain. The new outlets are smaller, but the cable exits from the front at an angle instead of underneath.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks