cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re pull question about the physical cable

mda99das
Up to speed

As it transpires I have some very old cable that is not suitable for today's ultrafast broadband.

I had a pre site survey and the technician explained how high they could go etc. Thanks to this forum, the technician let me route the wire the way I wanted it.

The excess wire is till on the reel, and I have a couple of issues. I will need need some more cable as one of the cables internally has been cut accidentally as there is no signal at the other end, having tested the cable results in 100% Db loss which I can only assume means that the wire has been cut somewhere. I do remember a sky technician saying that they removed some unnecessary cable a few years back. This cable does not have any continuity when testing from the other end, just confirming what I suspect. It just needs to be repulled using the Amphenol cable.

This brings me onto my second question, as you can see there is still cable on the reel. And the cabinet box is 20m away. I would rather not have the wire cut but feed this wire direct into the cabinet thus preserving the signal as the wire is continuous.  The installer can then fit the splitter from the other end and as the router will be literally next to the brown splitter box inside, I am assured that I have done everything to ensure I get the very best signal.

The photo below shows the old cable&wireless cable. I will need some trunking to sheath the wire as it runs underground to the basement. There has been no previous brown box, and there are 2 street covers.

IMG_7959.jpgIMG_7960.jpgIMG_7961.jpgIMG_7962.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @mda99das

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I am going to drop you a private message now to collect some more information, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Coaxial cables which are decades old are usually fine and a repull will be done only if necessary. A cut cable will probably be repaired with a gel pack joint especially if there is cable slack.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

The cable that was laid in 1996 will not support a 1 gigabit connection.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My cable is as old as that and certainly supports 1G.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

VM provides Gig1 to those whose network was upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1 - which means everyone as the entire UK network upgrade was completed in December 2021 including the 14.3m premises served by coaxial cable (some of which is over three decades old).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi mda99das, thanks for getting back to us.

I am going to send you a private message so I can get some details and take a closer look on your behalf.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Ok here is an update,

My installation very nearly didn't happen as there was no cable. My Sky broadband had been cut of that morning and I was using my mobile data.

I asked my neighbours permission and he was an ex VM customer, and I am lucky that I am on good terms with them, and this is why I am keen to resolve this, because the last thing I want to do is fall out over a cable! 

1.jpg2.jpg

3.jpg

so far my connection is stable and just some minor issues with SD video.

My questions are if this blue rope is in place, can the VM technician pull this? I have no issue with helping him, like I did before.

Also is the cable the same grade that goes from the cabinet to the street box?

Another issue is that the first technician did not leave any ducting so I have cable hanging 

6.jpg

I know the install done on the 7th was only temp, and my technician has asked if Kellys have been to do the external work. I suspect that the street duct may be blocked. Someone has come out to have a look but I was not home when they did that, and the cover is broken, as I suspect its probably not been opened in 25 years.

Many thanks