cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"New customer": Request: don't port number

mpmc
Superfast

Hi folks,

Rather than clog up the support lines I thought I'd post here for help instead, it's not urgent as our install isn't until 4th Sept.

With our order I initially requested a number port from a talktalk business provider. I have now had a think and decided to keep the number and line/broadband as is for now (sorting it out later) and would rather be issued a new number with the service.

Would one of the wonderful VM folks be able to assist with this please?

Thanks.

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi mpmc,

Thanks for coming back to us, I will be happy to have a proper look for you and advise everything, so I can I will invite you into a private chat, I will send a invite shortly, please click on the purple envelope to accept?

Regards

Paul.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

24 REPLIES 24

mpmc
Superfast

Replying to myself here for others benefit.

After a bit of reading; I can prevent the number port by telling current provider not to accept the port request from Virgin Media. I suspect we'll just be given a random one instead.

Can anyone from the @ModTeam confirm?

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

When you get the install if you do not port you will get a number from the list that Virginmedia has for your area, this may be recycled, if you were getting a number ported then on install you would get a temporary number as number ports have to be done when the line is active and normally takes 10 days.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ross54
Joining in

Telcos currently don't charge subscribers for porting but charge them ... Telecom Solutions for every new customer it acquires through MNP.

As I suspected. Having a random number is fine as the line will only be used as another backup anyway "when all else fails" given the call costs. Luckily I'd contacted P8 in time and asked them to not port the number as VM had already started the request! It seems VM are rather eager, this eagerness would've cut our line, leaving us without bb or phone 😟 - until the VM service is installed and working.

When we we're with VM, ntl / area 04, many years ago (80s-~08) it was the old HFC network, so the phone was seperate and worked if the internet or power died. We're now in area 31, which was recently expanded to in July and as it's RFoG/FTTP that means no phone whatsoever if the power/net goes out - due to the phone being IP based and via the hub, not ideal.

Yes we have mobiles but sometimes forget to charge these, and rather than risk it I have requested the emergency backup line as well to be safe. Once VMs services are installed and working I am then going to port (and cease) our OR line, moving the number over to sipgate basic, or someone else if anyone has any suggestions. I can then setup my ATA/freepbx to handle the line, with UPS and 4G as fallback.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Just to inform you that the Emergency Backup Unit will only allow outgoing calls to 999 across the strongest mobile connection, and there is no incoming calls as the Emergency Backup Unit doesn't have a phone number.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hub based phones have nothing to do with whether you are on HFC or RFoG. All customers are being migrated to 21CV hub based lines over the next 18 months/2 years. Don't forget that even with RFoG, the ONT in your house still converts back to coax to operate the hub & TV box as HFC & RFoG uses the same customer equipment.

All analogue BT exchanges & the ones at VMs headends will be switched off in 2025 when full VoIP comes in. Having a mobile as backup will then become an necessity.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I read the EBL/EBU (whatever it's called) will only do emergency calls which isn't very useful but it's better than nothing. Having the phone hanging off the hub isn't something I'm happy about either, but it's the way things are going now.

@nodrogd: Yep, I'm aware; I was just mentioning how I remember it. As I said. It's not something I'm happy about but it is what it is.

Just a follow-up to this and I hope someone at VM could help here too.

As in my original post, with the VM order our number was to be ported over, but as I'd decided to port it to VOIP/Sipgate instead due to call costs, I asked our current OR landline supplier Pulse8/TalkTalk Business to reject the port to Virgin Media all together and leave the number and line well alone..

This was actioned on by Pulse8 and the line/number have stayed where they are since my last post in this thread. The line and broadband via OR is still active to this day and has the correct numbering. All well and good, or so I thought..

Last week I asked sipgate to port-in the number to their systems. Well either Talktalk or Virgin Media have messed up as the port to sipgate was rejected.

With sipgate saying "The response we received is as follows: Port request rejected - Rejection Reason: BT(TalkTalk) have already accepted a port order for this number to port to Virgin Media." Umm.. No they haven't as far as I can tell, OR line still active with our number. I can only assume VM have gone sledge-hammer with the port and forced it through somehow or something is broken between OR, Talktalk or Virgin Media.

Any ideas, I've asked Pulse8 to see what is going on but I thought I'd post here too.

Replying to myself again, as I ran out of edit time.

It seems VM have done ANOTHER porting request, even though the first was rejected a while back. Great work there VM, this repeat porting request done by yourselves has cost us £30 (non-refundable charge to port to sipgate).

I of course have asked Pulse8 to reject it again, however given how the second forced (and without us knowing) port to VM is supposed to complete today/tomorrow I do not hold much hope.

What a mess.