cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with latency, driving me crazy please help

purebliss
On our wavelength

hello i have been a virgin customer for many years and recently we got upgraded via volt to the M350 and our connection quality seems really bad, i do a lot of gaming and my download speed is fine but my game constantly gets a very strange lag where my character warps forward and this happens most of the time but then once every so often it can be okay for some hours then happens again. i had an engineer come out said he already noticed some issues with the QAM plus a couple more things he said and before leaving he took a noise attenuator off our cable saying we did not need it anymore, issue was still happening that evening so another engineer came and said noise levels was in the red and he put a small attenuator on the cable and put in a new modem, sadly issue still not solved and im pulling my hair out as to what can be going wrong. ive tried not just one game but several and its the same issues, also if i do a ping to google and other servers my ping sometimes is a solid 14-20 with the odd peak in the 30-40s but mostly stable but then more so in the evening my ping is all over the place going everywhere from 11 to 44 to 148 to 200 and so forth like this. i just tried speaking with call centre again and they said there sending out a wifi disk which will help lol i tried telling them a wifi disk cant help my connection issues when im on ethernet but they didn't want to listen. I'll attach some screenshots of my upstream and downstream settings and levels so it may help someone to solve this but im wondering could i need moving to a different tap on the cabinet or could i need a higher attenuator? Any help would be really appreciated and this issue has now been going on for atleast 2-3 months now. thankyou in advance for any help.

downstream.jpgerrors.jpgstatus.jpgupstream.jpg

58 REPLIES 58

upstream buffering in the modem due to bad QoS/BWM for the upstream.

You can make sure its nothing your end you can disable the wireless and not have anything connected to the hub if your in router mode and let BQM plot the spikes.
---------------------------------------------------------------

HI purebliss thanks for getting back to us.

I am really sorry your latency issue is ongoing and our engineers have been unable to resolve the issue.  Have you had the opportunity to  follow the suggestion of legacy1?  If you do get the chance, please can you give it a try and then update us?

Regards

Lee_R

purebliss
On our wavelength

thanks for all the replies, i tried disabling the wifi and just monitoring and trying my pc via ethernet and latency still terrible and monitor graph is still a mess. ive called virgin so many times and at all different times and ive had phone put down 4 times on me by foreign call centre because they have no idea what there talking about. I've asked to speak to a manager or get a manager call back and been promised it 4 times now and nothing happens. one person at virgin said ill register a complaint and ill monitor it and call you back in 48 hours to make sure someone has called you that was about 8 days ago. so its near impossible to speak to an english person and as for getting this problem resolved im not sure what to do anymore, the internet also keeps disconnecting but the light on the modem stays solid ill attach my latest graph which is best ive had in a while and still not good and hope anyone can shed some light and if someone who works at virgin can get network team or a manager to call me that would be great. im just now hoping cityfibre gets put in our area real soon as this service or lack of with virgin is annoying.

new graph.jpg

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @purebliss,

Thanks for the update with this.

I checked my system, I am unable to see connection with your Hub. Can you please do a pinhole reset on your Hub for me? Let me know when you have done this.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

thankyou Hayley for the reply

my wife noticed the error also saying hub can not be reached even though its in router status. i have now reset the router via pinhole.

ive a few more concerns regarding my issue, I spoke to someone who said on Monday they are digging up the road somewhere as they have noticed there is a leak in the underground cabling for my postcode and the works set for monday but it probably wont get fixed the 1st time? then i spoke with a network engineer for virgin who does major work in my area and he says there is no work routined as far as I'm aware, Then I've had 2 text messages saying there's an issue in your area and has now been fixed, I have had the same message on 2 occasions over the last week but still its not fixed and now when testing my router it says there's as issue please check again in 21 hours and counts down. so I'm a little peeved off getting told so many different things, getting told things are fixed and so forth. ive been nothing but a loyal customer even when we was getting less than 10meg on a 200 meg connection for over a year, when that was fixed finally i thought that would be the end of the major problems but im back here again with another long time issue. every engineer every call centre and every call or text message ive had a different story to this ongoing issue every time, never the same thing twice or anyone saying lets get this fixed once and for all. im just told more work in area come back in a week. then im told its fixed then its not fixed then there is no problems known of, its just crazy and i got a message yesterday again saying "we've fixed the issue affecting your services please restart your equipment and wait 30 minutes", but then doing a reset on router i get a message saying there's an issue lol

i am so frustrated, someone at customer relations was going to upgrade our package for all the issues but then we got passed to someone in networks to speak too and so forth didn't get any free upgrade or issue fixed

My advice would be to leave for another provider if you can.

I'm with VM simply because there is no other alternative (it's either VM or stick with BT on my 10mbps line).

I'm also a gamer and know how frustrating lag can be, it makes gaming unplayable (which then defeats the whole purpose of having super fast internet).

I would say that you should be able to quit your contract without any penalty considering they are not providing the service you are paying for.

If possible I'd get with either BT, Talk Talk, Sky... any of them really, they all use BT OpenReach as their backbone, you may not get as fast download speeds, but the stability of the line with make up for it.

purebliss
On our wavelength

hello Alan and thanks for your time in writing in regards to this nightmare.

sadly i am the same as you and the best speed in my area other than virgin-latency is the old bt network with max speed of 10-15meg and average of 3meg

i do honestly think even the 3 meg connection would be better and more stable for gaming but would have a negative impact for the family who wouldnt be able to steam Netflix very well as well as other child online.

i saw cityfibre the other day near me and they said there doing our entire area soon so hopefully i can get away from this hell sometime soon. i honestly believe if every house had another isp connected that was fibre 80percent will leave virgin due to poor performance a terrible network and a bad record for gaming and thats before we even mention there customer service or lack of. they are not all bad some actually do try and help but you have to speak with 50 muppets to get 1 decent person. had virgin call me today for a follow up call and she actually admitted i had been lied too about work been done in my area and that there is none scheduled even though its what i was told. in all honesty i have no idea anymore if they actually want to help or know there network is bad and they just want to keep putting me off till i leave or shut up. we pay for electric gas water and expect it to work so im not sure why its any different with broadband in this day and age where everything needs it. last engineer that was sent didn't even enter the house he just looked outside and said ill order a line pull and left. line pull did nothing to help. ive reset router 3 times via pinhole hoping Hayley can now connect and see what's going on and shed some light or contact me. i have never felt so down and useless as there's nothing i can do to get something that should be working fixed. my next step after hearing from Hayley if its not fixed is virgin media ombudsman. i would even be happy if they sent me out there mobile data wifi until its fixed as a temporary measure.

just seen my latest BQM and thought id share this unreal graph of this bull im getting every day.

virginmedia bqm BADDDDvirginmedia bqm BADDDD

Yes, it's over subscription.

Yes, they know that only too well.

No engineer visit will fix that.

They are avoiding the issue by asking stupid questions.

They will only acknowledge the problem once it reaches a predefined level. (melt down)

You have three options

1. Keep at them until they relent and add more capacity to your area. This may take months and cause you to have a mental breakdown (ask me how I know).

2. Leave asap and use another provider.

3. Live with it being utter garbage.

It's a bad set of choices for sure.

purebliss
On our wavelength

i feel like im having a breakdown honestly, i just spent a hell of a lot of money on a new gaming pc and now cant use it for gaming.

most frustrating thing is this happened only a few year ago and was only fixed about 2 year ago as you may have seen in my posts i had 18 months of high utilisation and doesnt feel like it was fixed that long ago and now to fear we are back there again is just something im shocked at and im **bleep**ed off at virgin for keeping lying to me about errors and issues. plus my wife went with 02 just for the volt advantage thing so now shes with a phone provider she didnt actually want but thought it ok for the volt and now ive spent a lot on a pc i cant use for its purpose.

@hayley can you please confim once and for all if this is high utilisation and some fix or anything to move forward and not backwards as this is just a joke right now what im going through