cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with latency, driving me crazy please help

purebliss
On our wavelength

hello i have been a virgin customer for many years and recently we got upgraded via volt to the M350 and our connection quality seems really bad, i do a lot of gaming and my download speed is fine but my game constantly gets a very strange lag where my character warps forward and this happens most of the time but then once every so often it can be okay for some hours then happens again. i had an engineer come out said he already noticed some issues with the QAM plus a couple more things he said and before leaving he took a noise attenuator off our cable saying we did not need it anymore, issue was still happening that evening so another engineer came and said noise levels was in the red and he put a small attenuator on the cable and put in a new modem, sadly issue still not solved and im pulling my hair out as to what can be going wrong. ive tried not just one game but several and its the same issues, also if i do a ping to google and other servers my ping sometimes is a solid 14-20 with the odd peak in the 30-40s but mostly stable but then more so in the evening my ping is all over the place going everywhere from 11 to 44 to 148 to 200 and so forth like this. i just tried speaking with call centre again and they said there sending out a wifi disk which will help lol i tried telling them a wifi disk cant help my connection issues when im on ethernet but they didn't want to listen. I'll attach some screenshots of my upstream and downstream settings and levels so it may help someone to solve this but im wondering could i need moving to a different tap on the cabinet or could i need a higher attenuator? Any help would be really appreciated and this issue has now been going on for atleast 2-3 months now. thankyou in advance for any help.

downstream.jpgerrors.jpgstatus.jpgupstream.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, it's over subscription.

Yes, they know that only too well.

No engineer visit will fix that.

They are avoiding the issue by asking stupid questions.

They will only acknowledge the problem once it reaches a predefined level. (melt down)

You have three options

1. Keep at them until they relent and add more capacity to your area. This may take months and cause you to have a mental breakdown (ask me how I know).

2. Leave asap and use another provider.

3. Live with it being utter garbage.

It's a bad set of choices for sure.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

58 REPLIES 58

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your stats as pretty much perfect, so no issues there.

However, Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Also setup a BQM to monitor and record your circuit  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

How are you connecting?  Wired or wifi?  I would recommend wired as VM do not guarantee wifi speeds or performance.  VM will however, supply wifi pods to help with wifi black spots.  They are £5 pm unless you are on the 1GB package.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

purebliss
On our wavelength

I'm connected via Ethernet and no problems in the area yet my connection especially in the evening and even up to 3am is unplayable.speeds are fine just bad quality stuttering. Not sure what to do. Research says people on smaller connections with virgin get better but when you go 200 and 350 etc it gets worse and thats what I've found too. Don't want to downgrade as it seems backwards but what else can it be?

this is my BQM if you can make sense of it for me, thanks 

84028F5F-8245-413E-A0E6-88262AF559F4.jpeg

Hi purebliss,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues with your broadband service. 

I have taken a look on our system regarding this and I am unable to see any issues. 

Can you confirm if you're still having issues with this?

^Martin

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

No issues? Really? 

Look at the BQM. It's appalling!   Looks like massive over-subscription at peak times. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

spent 5hour 30 minutes over 2 days just trying to get through to virgin then to have abroad anti customer service put phone down when i told him my issue. 2nd call i was promised a manager call back and that the customer service guy would call me too to make sure id been called and guess what still no calls from either. around 2-3 year ago we was only getting 7 meg on a 200meg line for 17 months due to high utilization. had our 3rd engineer sent in 2 weeks to be told he didn't notice that there is noise on the line outside and he's ordered a new line pull in about 3 weeks, that's great but could he have tried changing me to a different tap at cabinet then checking levels again maybe?? we was recently put on 350 meg upgrade and its been even worse sinse then so moving forward i cant go through another 1-2 years of high utilization so can we be moved to a different server profile or something!? I've been told call up to get reimbursed for poor service but when do i do that as im not sure when its going to be fixed. it seems not 1 person at the call centre wants to help solve this problem at all and just try pass it on and i get abroad call centre which have not one clue and all they talk about is wifi connection.

the BGM is the same horrible mess everyday and playing games which is my enjoyment is impossible.

still having the issue and its not getting any better and waiting another 2 weeks for a line pull i dont think will fix this issue can anyone contact me that will be able to come up with a soloution that will help us as the last engineer said a line pull instead of trying anything at the cabinet and thats what was asked to do, support said they wanted engineer to check cabinet and see what was going on and work out a soloution but instead he checked levels outside on the connection in to house and said hmm a little noise on line not sure how i didnt see it last time when i come 3 days ago. maybe as it was raining and dark he didnt want to go to cabinet? but we are still stuck months later with a connection thats useless.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us @purebliss

The engineers are best poised to assess the situation and advise what the best next steps to take are. If they have advised the pre-pull needs to happen I would be inclined to agree. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

purebliss
On our wavelength
the engineers have been a joke, 3 engineers say theyve fixed it everytime theyve come but its never 1 percent different and id love to know what in there eyes they fixed. support said they wanted the engineer to check the cabinet and see whats going on at the cabinet and not 1 out of 3 of them has been to the cabinet. i show them the graphs the problems and they just go oh yes thats bad!!!
its a proper joke ive asked 3 times for a manager to call me back and 3 times im told within 24 hours ill get a call back but wow still nothing weeks later, im bored of ringing and been put on hold for hours every day to get some person that goes on about wifi. so where do i go from here who can i speak too that actually cares or knows what there talking about or will get this fixed or will i be expected to pay full money for a **bleep** line for another 18 months like last time?