Menu
hotlurve
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

opening ports complaint and help needed

i need help from vm please to open some ports on my router as my ring doorbell ring security cam have stopped working in live view on iPad. but works perfectly on android.

i tried calling customer services but the result is documented below

an hour on the ph to vm, passed from pillar to post 6 times each time had to verify my account... when i asked about having some ports opened on my router 3 of the customer service people thought i was talking about the physical 4 ports on the back of my router !!!!! finally got through to the so called tech guy who was going remote access my computer when he put me thorough to some other foriegn person who then tried to tell me i would be charged 20.00 for this service !!!!.

needless to say i hung up and called retentions in the hope that i would speak to someone english who would understand my plight, who then made some notes on my account, put me through to someone that could help, apparently, when this person came on the ph i told him whay i wanted and he said  do you mean the 4 ports on the back of the router !!!!!!.... i hung up! 

how hard can it be for vm to make this happen????

can a moderator speak to the correct dept and get this done for me pls??

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: opening ports complaint and help needed

The opened ports that the Ring needs will be the same regardless of the OS of your remote device. If it works on Android then you must look to the iPad to find why it doesn't work.  Virgin's customer service doesn't deal with connected devices.

If you can post full details here of exactly what you are doing, error messages etc then someone may be able to offer advice. 

0 Kudos
hotlurve
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The Could it be the vw extenders then I that case as it used to work ok on the iPad ? Maybe I should just use the hub3 as a modem and buy a new router that will cover the whole house. Can you recommend one under 100.00. Needs to cover end to end about a lenth of 50 yds with good signal

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Nothing in your WiFi can let your android through and stop the ipad. Changing the WiFi will not change that.

Answer my questions and someone might be able to offer advice. 

0 Kudos
hotlurve
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

so ok i spoke to ring and told them the android ph app was working fine,ring support even instructed me to make a hotspot on the android phone and tether the ipad to it and that worked fine.it was ring that said these ports need to be opened and gave me a list of what ones they are, so surely they must be aware if they are in fact the same ports used on both.

both of my ipads have stopped working with the ring doorbell and ring spotlight cam at the same time, yet all the androids are unaffected.

i was considering buying a mesh type network and doing away with the vm extenders hoping that might help....if i do this im assuming i put my vm router in modem mode and that would negate the need to open any ports...am i correct?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

A mesh network will give better WiFi coverage. You can use one with either the existing router or a new one.

But this is not a coverage issue. 

hotlurve
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes your right , I know it’s not a coverage issue it’s a port issue it would appear,  but as I spent over an hour with vm support trying to get the relevant ports open and getting absolutely nowhere I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone.... get my doorbell working on the iPad and in doing so improve my network in the process. So I’m asking if I run the hub 3 in modem mode do I still have the same port issues I have in router mode.???

further more here is the mail sent to me from ring , reading through it  there are in fact  at the very bottom of this  post different ports for android and iOS it seems to say

Hello Ian,

Your ring device is having trouble with its wifi network connection and is being interfered with by some settings on your router known as ports. These ports being closed or turned off can impact key features of the device, including video and audio, wifi connectivity, or impact whether or not setup can be completed. We recommend contacting your internet service provider or manufacturer of the router you own and provide them these ports and ask them to open them.

"Hey (Rep name), I need some ports open for my router"

them: "which ones do you need open?"

"I need:

TCP in 32882 - 65533
TCP out 80, 443, 5223, 9998
UDP in 53, 67, 68, 123, 137, 15063 - 65439
UDP out 53, 67, 68, 123, 5353, 15063 - 64208

Tell them "My ring device(s) need to have a DHCP reservation set for their IP addresses as well"

If your router requires (an) IP Address(es) for the Ring Device(s) in order to open the ports then an IP address(es) would first need to be created; this can be done by doing a DHCP Reservation for the Ring Device(s) to give it an IP Address. The MAC ID for your device will be needed to accomplish this

You may have to also ask the Representative if they can "Setup a DMZ (demilitarized zone) for the IP address of the ring video device(s)"
the IP address for the ring video doorbell tells your router what the device(s) is, and the DMZ makes it so the router allows the doorbell to enter its network.

Think of the IP address like the name tag for the device(s), and the DMZ is a free pass into the router, so no network security blocks the doorbell from entering.

Ring uses the following ports:

Battery devices:
TCP in 32882 - 65533

Powered devices:
UDP in 53, 67, 137 & 8610 - 61000
UDP out 53, 68, 123 & 5001 - 64854
TCP in 32768 - 61000
TCP out 80, 443, 5201, 9999, 15063

Ports can be “opened” or “closed” on your router’s firewall. Open ports allow devices to send information through them, while closed ports block all traffic. Ring products only function properly if the required ports are open outbound from your router. The process to open ports can be different, depending on your type of router. Consult your router’s user manual for instructions on how to open ports.

Ring Chime also requires certain ports. If your Chime is not ringing, ensure that the following ports are accessible as well:

Chime Pro:
TCP in 32773 - 60998
TCP out 443, 9999
UDP in 123, 32776 - 60989
UDP out 53, 123, 14440

Chime:
TCP in 50157 - 65168
TCP out 80, 443, 9998
UDP in 68, 50534 - 62946
UDP out 53, 123, 5353

The client applications also use the following ports:

IOS:
TCP In 59720 - 59840
TCP out 80, 443, 5223, 15064
UDP in 68, 123, 49400 - 64951
UDP out 53, 123, 18306 - 63919

Android:
TCP in 32800 - 60991
TCP out 80, 443, 5228, 15064
UDP in 2034 -65218
UDP out 53, 18574 - 52797

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I was looking at a number of resources discussing the ring doorbell's ports and the more I read the more some of the talk about opening ports doesn't make sense.  Especially where the Hub 3 is concerned.

Take this page for example:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/205385394-What-Ports-Do-I-Need-to-Open-in-My-Firewall-for...

Looking at the port ranges:

TCP in 32882 - 65533

This range is what is known as ephemeral ports, these ports are used as sourrce ports for an outgoing connection.  You shouldn't need to open these ports, I can give a more detailed explanation as to why - but I would suggest you trust me on this one.

You don't open these ports as they connect outbound.

Where to begin with this part?

Port 53 UDP is reserved as a listening port for DNS servers.IMHO I would be very surprised to find the doorbell listening for unsolicited traffic on this port.  Likewise ports 67 and 68 UDP are used for DHCP - as the ring will be talking to a DHCP server on the LAN in order to set up it's network, you don't open these ports either.
Port 123 is used for NTP - again I really doubt the ring will run it's own NTP server, although it will act as an NTP client to keep it's clock up to date.  The client talks outbound on port 123 but listens for the replies on the ephemeral ports (which is where the high range at the end comes in).

137 is one of the netbios trio and normally the ring would again only be listening for connections on the LAN - 137 should never be open to the internet.

These again are apparently outbound ports so would be allowed out by the hub automatically.  again the last range is an ephemeral range and looks like someone is just hedging their bets.

Everything I read tells me that both the ring and the app talks outbound to servers in the cloud rather than the ring listening directly for inbound connections.  The advantage to this model is that you don't have to worry about port forwarding.  (Plex Media server does operate this way as a back up when the server can't be reached directly from the net, enabling it to get round things like CGNAT)

As @jpeg1 has pointed out.  If the Android App is working then the iOS app should also be working as they'll both use the same protocols to connect to the Ring server in the cloud.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

hotlurve
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Well thanks for all that however that’s well beyond me .. the link you posted is the Same one I got the port information from but more importantly you would have to assume that the ring guys know there own product. 

There must be a reason why the iPad app has stopped working as I said before it’s on two iPads both stopped working simultaneously. The only other thing I can think off is vm sent me a replacement WiFi extender  as the one of the two I have lost connection and failed  and it was just after then that the iOS app stopped working but exactly when I don’t know.im sure it worked for a whole after pairing up the new extender.

so would the hub 3 in modem mode and a mesh system work or not

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

in modem mode you must supply your own router. you can't use modem mode with just a wifi extender

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos