Menu
singer1980
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

old email account has been hacked

Can somebody please help. I've had my old ntlworld email account hacked and they are sending corrupt emails to people using this account. I no longer have an account with virgin media so I am unable to deactivate the account.

please help

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: old email account has been hacked

How long have you been out of your VM contract ? After 90 days it should be deleted - forever (I think).

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
singer1980
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Over 3 years. I’ve spoken to vm support tonight who were completely useless and said they could not help as I no longer have a vm account.

surely they are still responsible for this email account 

ive read other users having the same issue with old ntl accounts, so they clearly do not close down after 90 days 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It may actually have gone but the "perp" is just spoofing the old address - have you got one of the emails - if so, look through the headers (or display the from address) and see if there is another email address buried behind it.

See how this one of mine purports to be from HSBC in the "From" field - but you can see it clearly isnt !

Screenshot 2019-03-06 at 22.28.28.png

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi singer1980,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear that your email has been hacked and is sending out emails, and I can appreciate you're keen to get this sorted.

If you would like for me to look into this, I will need to take more details. I will send you a private message requesting more information so I can help you further 🙂

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Melissa_F wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that your email has been hacked and is sending out emails, and I can appreciate you're keen to get this sorted.

Thanks Melissa

Just for my interest Melissa, if this person has not been with VM for 3 years her ntlworld.email address account should be cancelled and erased - shouldn't it ?  If so is it possible somebody has re-activated the same account?  That;'s worrying if its the case.

--------------------
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi jbrennand,

I can certainly give you a little bit of info on this.

The address should've been removed but these sometimes remain active on the system, in these cases we need to remove them manually which is why I've sent a private message 🙂

It's not possible for somebody to have re-activated the account.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ahhhh so it can happen when providers don't erase/delete accounts - even after 8 years !
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/07/talktalk_8_yr_old_email_account_still_active/

--------------------
0 Kudos