cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no wall socket found

kmstorylondon
Joining in

hi

I have the self installed quick start kit but I couldnt find the wall socket in my house, I can only see the traditional phone cable one

thanks

9 REPLIES 9

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

not all installs have an internal box

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - if there are non look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - as said it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

if you find a cable you need one of these to attach the cable that came with the quick start kit

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank you for the reply. I checked the external box and it connects to the wall socket which is the traditional one but not the new fibre one.

post some photos of whats inside and outside

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Sure, see below

1D1FFE02-4858-4F1C-A906-77BC0468FF11.jpeg

91F4F57D-6B3B-424D-A1E1-E858674A9DFA.jpeg

28AC2064-EE74-48E8-870B-90AE16EE699A.jpeg

1st image - the external box is the interesting one - it looks like one of the early providers box - worth a look inside - tie wrap or screw at the bottom

theres something coming from the ground i thing as there is plastic conduit

if you dont want to do that what cables can you see going into it and coming out - second image is just a phone box - thats of no interest

3rd image no idea what that is

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank you.

1st one is the only box I see and the 2nd image is the opposite to the external box

The 3rd one is just the bottom of the box in 2nd picture

Thanks

ahhh ok that makes sense - maybe it was just a phone install in the dim and distant past - if so it gets more complicated as you would need a BB cable pulling to the property - but if you are happy to open the external box and lets see whats inside - that will likely tell us much more

thinking a bit more even if it was just a phone install - i dont actually know if they ever did that - there would have been a BB cable pulled as it was a dual cable - so again whats in the external box

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like the previous owner may have removed the co-ax cable and just left the phone point.   But as you say, the answer is inside the omnibox.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

kmstorylondon
Joining in

the previous owner confirmed there was a wall socket, and it is hiding somewhere behind the radiator, thanks everyone for the help!