cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no virgin socket

MrLT
Joining in

Hi, this is not the second time I am trying to post this message as the last one didn't work. Just before moving house I was told by a Virgin media sales person that the property we were moving to had a virgin media socket and that we would be able to have internet in our new property with a quick account transfer in 24 hours. However upon arriving at the property it is clear there is no Virgin socket. This is terrible service. I have tried calling the helpline, but can't remember my password, and so now we apparently have to wait for a password letter to arrive. I am in desperate need for this to be sorted ASAP as I work from home and have to have the internet to work. What with waiting for a new password and perhaps an engineer we would be looking at weeks without internet. The call centre are not at all helpful due to this password issue. I would be grateful if someone from virgin could get in touch about this ASAP

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Look outside your property for the wall mounted VM "omnibox" - usually brown or grey. From there a cable will come out and enter your property through a hole in the wall. Trace wher that is and on the other side of that point is where the connection should be made.

I t may be hidden in a cupboard, decorated over or just be a loose cable.

If you cant connect to that or cant find it, a previous occupant may have removed and didnt tell VM. You will have to call in and arrange to change to a Tech install rather than self install - if you struggle to pass security a VM person will respond on here in a day or two

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you do find a cable, you will need one of the below to allow the quickstart cable to be fitted.

SLX F-type satellite Cable coupler | DIY at B&Q

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi MrLT,

Welcome to the Community Forums. Thank you for your first post.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't seem to have a socket for self installation. We would not offer a self installation unless the property has already had our services installed recently, so it's possible that the previous occupant removed the socket as jbrennand has pointed out.

I'll pop you over a private message now so I can arrange an engineer visit for you.

Please look out for my message over at the purple envelope

Beth

When I spoke to the sales person to tell them we were moving there was no mention of the possibility that the socket might have been removed. It was presented as if the person already in the property had Virgin and it would be easy to switch over. I feel this is a terrible bit of miss-selling on the part of virgin. 

Thanks for your reply, MrLT,

I'm sorry if you feel it was missold however while our systems can tell us historically whether the address has had our service before, it wont tell us anything about the interior structures of the home [such as new builds, renovations or remodeling] and we would rely on the person being physically present and living in the home to confirm this or tell us if they require a technician, apologies again.

Do let us know how your visit goes.

Cheers,
Corey C