Menu
zlamb333
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

new road cabling

I've recently moved into a new build property that has been built down a public footpath alley way. This alley way has now been converted to have 7 properties down it in two apartment blocks. I live in a house that is converted to two flats. I have spoken to the developer who said that the property wasn't cabled by openreach when built. 

I have been without broadband for four months now, and I am a little stuck on how to get the road cabled. 

Can anyone help me in what steps I can take for Virgin to cable the street, or is this not possible if there are no existing cables by Openreach already? 

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: new road cabling

openreach has nothing to do with whether virgin will cable or not.
if the surrounding properties are cabled then it's unlikely that any "infill" will be done in the near future.

however, i believe openreach have a legel requirement to ensure they provided a phone line to any property that requests one?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM do not use the BT/Openreach network.

VM build busget is already set for 2018-19 and no infill work will be done unless already budgeted for.

BT should be able to install. AFAIKthey have to have 100% coverage as part of the government funding they get.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kath_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi zlamb333,
Thanks for your post and it's great to hear that you are looking at having Virgin Media installed.
As much as we would love to be able to install everybody, sometimes it's just not possible. 
We already have a full 2019 roll out planned as well as some of 2020 for new areas and New Builds too. 
I can double check to see if your area is in the plans for this year although I'll need some information from you. I have sent you a private message requesting some information. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.
Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@zlamb333 wrote:

I have spoken to the developer who said that the property wasn't cabled by openreach when built. 

I thought BT/Open Reach had to legally supply anyone with their network, so if it is them you really want you need to contact them.

"VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone."
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kath_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi zlamb333,

It's just a quick message to say we've not forgotten about you. 

If you still need assistance with this, pop back to us via private message. 

If this has since been resolved then no further action is needed. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@dnpark38 wrote:

@zlamb333 wrote:

I have spoken to the developer who said that the property wasn't cabled by openreach when built. 

I thought BT/Open Reach had to legally supply anyone with their network, so if it is them you really want you need to contact them.

Up to a certain cost per premises, yes. However they do need to know about the properties before they cable.

Best bet is to try and order a new line. 

0 Kudos