cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new VM customer awaiting pre install, but Cable and Wireless (NTL) line has been chewed up.

mda99das
Up to speed

I have a pre install and looked for the CATV cover in the street, there is a brown cable which has coax and 2x twisted pair phone cable inside. It was placed in green trunking and buried, but it looks like some rodent / animal has chewed and cut the wire.

When I moved in back in 1996, I remember seeing a cable and wireless phone socket, but over the course of the years and refurbs that has happened this has been pulled.

I am worried that when it comes to the install the property has been listed as having infrastructure already in place as laid down by C&W which later became NTL. Reading the horror stories I can see a scenario where the installer will say broken wire too complex and need to get another team out. Anyone been in this position? Many thanks 

8 REPLIES 8

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Sign up with VM and refuse the Quickstart self-installation as the cable is damaged. Do not be in a hurry to terminate your exsiting broadband.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello mda99das, 

Thanks for your post.

I can see you have been advised that the external cabling is due to be replaced and its all booked in.

Can you please keep us updated on how the visit goes.

Gareth_L

Yes will do. Waiting for the pre install. I called up CS as I didn’t get confirmation but they said it can be anytime between 8 and 6

Here are the photos of the Cable and wireless cable. I really don't think its up to a 1GB connection. The cable is in poor condition

Here is what I am thinking, the green box is about 20 metres from my house. I have done the wiring for the main cable that comes into the house and the rest is still on the reel. There is plenty of excess cable to cover the distance direct to the cabinet. This means that the first termination and split is done to as close to the router as possible. Is there any engineers of field service technicians that can advise?

IMG_7932.jpgIMG_7933.jpgIMG_7934.jpg

I found a sample of the old cable and wireless cable that was laid circa 1996.

This runs from the cabinet to my property but has been buried under soil and some animal had chewed the end off it. Given this wire was used for services back in 1996, it doesn't look like its in the best condition generally and don't think its capable of handling 1GB line speed.

Am I right in thinking this will need a re pull?IMG_7932.jpgIMG_7933.jpgIMG_7934.jpg

If the cable is in good condition it will be fine. VM may opt to do a repair with a gel pack.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi mda99das

Thanks for providing this image. This doesn't look like any modem coax cable, though could be a cable that comes from the omni. The installation engineers will be able to fix any internal cabling in and out of the omni box (brown box at on your home) and hopefully there will not be any issues with the outside installation works when they come to complete any pre pull or cabling work. Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

1) Telephone services are now provided via direct connection to the internet hub. Old Phone master sockets & wiring (twisted pair) are therefore now obselete.

2) VM installers & the cable pull engineers will use their own cabling (RG6/11 outside cabinet to the dropbox, triple screened cable inside).

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks