Menu
Cheunga
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

my Virgin Media superhub2 5G keeps dropping

Hi,

I have been experiencing problems with my Superhub2 for a while now. The 5G wifi keeps dropping out several times a day.  The only way to fix it is to reset the Superhub2.

Can anyone help resolve this issue please.

Kind regards.

Andy

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: my Virgin Media superhub2 5G keeps dropping

What devices are you using on that WiFi and where are they located in relation to the hub? 

0 Kudos
Cheunga
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am using iPhones, iPads and a macbook.  This can happen in any part of the house, even if I am sitting next to the hub itself.

Also sometimes, the 5G icon on the hub is not lit.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Try some of these suggestions to improve your WiFi

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/bg-p/Digital-life/label-name/wifi%20wins

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/UNDERSTANDING-KEY-ASPECTS-OF-WiFi/td-p/3870...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal/td...

Bear in mind that 5GHz generally has less range than 2GHz, and doesn't like passing through walls or floors.

If you think there is a problem with your incoming VM service, do a speedcheck with an ethernet connected device.

0 Kudos
Cheunga
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There is nothing wrong with the incoming VM service. The 2G wifi still works while the 5G does not. I can be standing next to the superhub and the 5G still does not work.  Once that happens, I can switch to 2G and I will get connection to the internet, if I switch back to 5G, the internet will stop.  This is all while I am in the same room and have a clear sight to the superhub.

I think there must be a fault with the superhub2 itself.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried changing the 5GHz channel? I know5GHz is less prone to "interference" but at least it must be worth a shot. Run a wifi analyser app on the iPhone - I actually use the WiFi Utility that has a scan option you can activate. Then hit "scan now" at top right and in real time it will display all of the wifi networks in range and their channel numbers and strengths - do you see your own 5Ghz one disappearing ?
I have an SH2 as well but it has always been in modem mode with an Airport Extreme sorting the wifi for me. You could always try that with your own wifi router. Or perhaps lobby VM to replace the SH2 for a Hub3!

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Cheunga wrote:

Also sometimes, the 5G icon on the hub is not lit.

Your hubs wifi is faulty you could ask for a hub 3 or use the hub in modem mode and get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cheunga, 

Thank you for getting in touch.

I am really sorry you've been experiencing issues with your hub. 

I have sent you a PM so we can check the account at our end. 

Thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos