cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving sky landline to VM issue

orange86
Joining in

Hi, I'm annoyed with VM. I was passed from one person to another when i called earlier today. Spoke to 4 people in total !!!

On 9th July, I had booked an order for VM to installed BB, tv and phone. The install date is 9th August.

The sales lady said VM will contact Sky to put in a cease request for my landline and cancel the sky contract. I've had no update from VM or Sky.  VM even sent me 2 texts saying they would contact me to provide an update but they never did !!

Can anyone at VM check the cease request and landline number port is in motion?
I do not want to be billed by Sky after 9th August. 

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I dont believe that VM can cancel your contract with Sky - only the account holder can do that.

One thing I would add is that I wouldnt cancel my Sky account until VM is installed and working to your satisfaction. An extra month's fee is a small insurance policy to pay in case the VM installation doesn't happen on that day - there are many threads on here where that has come about - due to unforeseen circumstances - installs can be delayed - sometimes days, weeks or even on occasion - months.

After VM is installed you have 14 days in which you can cancel it free of any charges - in case its is not good for you - and so just continue with Sky.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi the only part of that virgin have control over is the porting of your landline which has to still be live with Sky to swap the number over, as for the other services only you can cancel those, but heed the excellent advice from jbrennand and don't cancel anything until VM have you installed and working. Regards Micky

You are in a "cease and re-provide" process whereby it's the job of VM to inform Sky that the landline is being ported (and the phone and therefore the broadband will cease). Here's the official web page on this.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice-for-businesses/switching/switching-landline 

It is essential that you do not call Sky to cancel your contract as the porting cannot be done if you don't have the number.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks Roj, I called the VM sales consultant who signed me up to VM a month ago. She said she sent a cease request to Sky on that day.

I called Sky and they had received a cease request of my sky services to port over to VM on 9th August

@orange86 wrote:
Thanks Roj, I called the VM sales consultant who signed me up to VM a month ago. She said she sent a cease request to Sky on that day.

I called Sky and they had received a cease request of my sky services to port over to VM on 9th August

As has already been pointed out this will only be the landline, you will have to cancel the TV and broadband yourself 

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi orange86

Thanks for posting. 

I am sorry for the confusion here with this. The community have answered correctly, this would only port your landline over to us. I am not sure as never had an account with Sky myself, if that would also put a close request in for the other services automatically, I've heard different examples from people on both sides of the fence. If you have a landline only account with Sky, this of course will cancel the contract as the service number will be moved to us. 

I'd advise speaking to them again and getting that confirmation that all your services (if you do indeed have them) are due for termination on the 9th August.

Let us know how your install goes or if you need further help.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill