Menu
pbsys
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

ip phones stopped working 2 days ago

Ip phones in office stopped work on 14 May, internet still going. After test and long talk to Virgin support told me virgin new router software upgrade does not support ip phones. You cant use ip phone now !!!

We have been using the Virgin broadband with ip phones for 18 months now Virgin say hard luck.

We have 8 month contract to run and now told it won't work

What do we do ??

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: ip phones stopped working 2 days ago

Are you a business customer- contact your dedicated support line

If you are a residential customer, nothing about that makes sense. There hasn't been a new firmware for any of the HUB's in a while, HUB3 got the most recent one but VOIP on HUB3 has always been unsupported.

Putting your own router LAN side and putting HUB in modem mode usually cures the problem.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
pbsys
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Business Customer support told me its not supported since router update (sent out over last 2 weeks) but may not show up till router reset.There words were if the internet work its not our problem and its no good complaining above it, Nobody will do any think for you( Lez manager at support)

We have been using router LAN side from install/setup and it worked fine till 2 days ago

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As a business customer you will be using the Hitron modem which is entirely different to the ones we use. Can't help you here I'm afraid

There are of course other ways to connect your IP phones. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ill ask the question of the other SU's as I know some have the Hitron.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If VM business support are really giving out the advice above, and I see know reason to doubt the OP, then somethings gone badly wrong with their support.

This is a residential forum so as such it's not the best place for dealing with business queries, although as @Kippies says we will try and help if we can, as will some of the regular users.

Here's what annoys me.

1. Support are claiming that this is down to a Firmware upgrade.
  2. They're also saying that if the internet works anything else is not their problem.

Business customers would normally expect a higher level of support than this, the responses smack of palming the customer off with any old guff to get them off the line (I apologise in advance if this is not the case, but as the saying goes, "If it walks like a duck and looks like a duck....").

@pbsys - What follows is a personal opinion.  I'm not a lawyer and you may want to seek proper advice on this....

I would contact Virgin Media business support again and point out the following:

1. As your business uses VOIP, then if Virgin Media have rendered VOIP unusable due to a firmware update, then they have adversely affected your business.
  2. This would require them to either find a solution to the problem in line with the SLA's quoted in your contract.or to admit that they can no longer supply you with a service that's suitable to your needs, in which case they are in default and your contract is no longer valid.
  3. Virgin Media might also be liable for damages due to lost earnings caused by the failure of the VOIP service.

It would obviously be in everyone's best interests if Virgin Media business would work with you to remedy the situation post haste, rather than simply claiming - "It's not our responsibility."  You would welcome them assisting you to resolve this.

I've asked the Forum Team lead to see if they have any contacts on the business side that might be able to offer any insights. @Kev_B - your thoughts would be most welcome.

Tim

P.S.  Can I confirm that you were contacting VM Business on the 24/7 helpline number - 0800 052 0800?

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos