Menu
zuupy223
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

internet cabling

anyone had this where you find the cables are slightly buried in your front garden and go to the small virgin box just outside your window and get told we dont supply to your area and have to wait upto 18 months for install.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: internet cabling

Its possible, e.g., if the "supply" hasnt been active in some time and in the meantime they have signed up to the maximum number of subscribers that the current equipment can handle.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Does anybody on the same side of your street have virginmedia?, as pointed out might have reached capacity, or in high utilisation traffic area and not putting more customer causing more problems 

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
zuupy223
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

both my neighbours  have it, its just annoying that it runs on my garden yet i cant use it and every of company others basically dial up

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

One possibility.

How long does it take VM to resolve area over-utilisation issues?

This can block installs until the network is upgraded, leading to new customers being told they cannot be connected.

Areas with poor BT connections are bound to get a lot of Virgin traffic.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Optimist1
Dialled in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@zuupy223 wrote:

anyone had this where you find the cables are slightly buried in your front garden and go to the small virgin box just outside your window and get told we dont supply to your area and have to wait upto 18 months for install.

Who gave permission for these cables serving other properties to run through across your land?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Optimist1 wrote:

@zuupy223 wrote:

Who gave permission for these cables serving other properties to run through across your land?

where is it stated the cable is serving other properties - it sounds like the property has previously had VM but there is some sort of restriction on taking up new customers 

to the OP - are you simply looking up availability on the website or have you spoken to VM - afaik they should be able to give a reason for the 18 month time scale

Tony
0 Kudos
zuupy223
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

from what i gather from chatting to virgin on a few occasions they have intstalled in atleast 20 properties in the cul de sac.

ive owned the property for basically 3 years the virgin cables were installed beofre that but dont look that old.

well im in a ground floor flat and the front and rear garden are mine so the small brown virgin box is basically under my front window and the cables come in from the front of the garden and then out of the brown box they split 1 set going to my next door and neighbour and the other set going up the front of the house to the upstairs neighbour.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

for the cable to cross your property and the box to be on your wall permission [wayleave] would have had to have been granted - if you have not done that then it would have been a previous owner - not sure if thats then added to your deeds or there is just a record with VM - afaik once its granted its just passes on from owner to owner

so the VM point is there so there has to be a reason they are saying what they are - it may be a mix up on the address or a capacity problem - the VM people here should be able to help - if its a capacity problem they should be able to find out the details - if its an address mix up then you need a spotter to come out and get things sorted on the database

either way i would wait here for VM to pick the thread up

Tony
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Splitting causes signal loss. One question is whether your property can be served with a 3-way split as the cable's been already split for two neighbours. Ideally another cable should be pulled to the property when service becomes available.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos