cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installation of point upstairs

vintageviolence
Tuning in

Hey, been in a new house for almost a year now and the current virgin box is downstairs, as it was for previous owners.

Right now we want our upstairs study and back bedroom to have wired connection to the router. currently we have 2 ethernet cables running up the stairs which we obviously cant have forever.

I spoke to an electrician about adding ethernet ports upstairs through the voids in the walls/floorboards from the downstairs router. We came to the conclusion that because I live on an end terrace house, it'd be easier to just run an external wire up the wall and have a new virgin port in the study.

Is there anyone here who can help me with sorthing this out?

Cheers.

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The best thing to do is to just get the Ethernet cables run upstairs externally. These cables are very easy to hide behind down pipes. You could get VM to move your hub upstairs, costs £25, but the coax is over twice the thickness of an Ethernet cable. As you have not said whether the connections are required at the front or back of your house this is all I can suggest at the moment.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hey @vintageviolence,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
We can arrange for an appointment to have your router moved but as @Tudor stated that there would be a cost of £25. 

Would you like for me to arrange an appointment for you to do this?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi, Steven. Thank you for your response.

Am I understanding this correctly?

To move the router upstairs, reroute the external cable through the upstairs external brick wall, install the faceplate/port in the bedroom will cost £25?

@vintageviolence wrote:
Hi, Steven. Thank you for your response.

To move the router upstairs, reroute the external cable through the upstairs external brick wall, install the faceplate/port in the bedroom will cost £25?

thats it - all non fault call outs are a fixed price of £25 - whether what you want is possible the tech would have to decide - dont know if the charge still applies if the job cannot be done

Tony.
Sacked VIP

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@vintageviolence wrote:

Yes. All the work is a fixed price including any signal level adjustments.

VM used to charge £100 to do this, but a lot of customers then resorted to DIY jobs on VMs coaxial cabling. This resulted in entire streets suffering from network problems due to non-standard cabling & poor connections leaking noise onto the network.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Steven

After reading this thread's helpful replies I would indeed like for you to arrange an appointment for me.

Cheers.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I will pop you over a private message to get this arranged 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan.