Menu
jeffsmith82
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

installation advice

I have an engineered booked for monday afternoon and was hoping for some advice about the setup.

Previous owners of the house must of had Virgin at one point as there are two sockets inside the house. One is in the front room but is in an awkward position for where the TV currently is. Would I be able to request the engineer to move the socket ?

The other sockets is in our loft room which is now a babies bedroom so isn't much use. I was going to ask for another to be run to our bedroom. Would it be possible to have three sockets in the house ? 

finally I ordered the 500mb broadband which I believe comes with a v3 router. Is it possible to request a v4 one as I was hoping to go 1Gbps at some point and believe this would be required.. 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: installation advice

Hello

Unless you are on 1gbps you will only get a Hub 3, there has been some invites in areas that are 1gbps enable for customers on the lower tiers to get a hub 4 when the area has high utilization. I am afraid that unless the criteria is met then you cannot request a hub 4.

Regarding the rest yes the engineer will move cables, install new ones where needed. You can have 3 sockets with no problems.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jeffsmith82
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/10/virgin-media-uk-offering-free-upgrades-to-hub-4-router... saw this as was hoping I could just request one. Is it possible to pay for one if i request it before the engineer shows up ?
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

you can have as many sockets in the house as you want or need so 3 is fine - all do not have to be in use - so you can add another - the tech may leave the one in the loft bedroom live or just disconnect it - just talk it through with the tech - he might try to dissuade you but that will only be he is looking for an easy install 

no real difference between the hub3 and the hub4 on 500 - you are correct it is needed for 1gig input - installing the 4 depends on if the area is ready for 1 gig - if it is then you might get one - not sure the tech can just swap them - see what happene on the day - but if you do go to 1gig in the future then the 4 will be supplied

EDIT - my post a bit late but answering your point about paying for a hub4 - no - all equipment is rented and if you find one for sale dont waste your money - its technically stolen and will not work regardless of what the seller might say

Tony
0 Kudos