cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hub 5 modem mode

kannanni
On our wavelength

hi there,

managed to activate hub 5 and yes as a router its not a finished product yet, so I have it in modem mode. Question: Which port is advisable for modem mode for this hub to output to my router? im on the 350 tier

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

Any of the ethernet ports will work, as long as only one device is connected, ie the WAN interface on your router.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jem101
Superstar

Any of the ethernet ports will work, as long as only one device is connected, ie the WAN interface on your router.

shecal
Joining in

hi,how do i put super hub 5,in modem mode.thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Should be similar to this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq7Q8mkG2wY 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Best to use Port 4, as it's the 2.5GB port.  This is the one I use, not that I can use 2.5GB on the 200MB Tier !  🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @kannanni - thanks for getting in touch. I hope you're enjoying the Hub 5 and all of the benefits and features it has to offer! 😄
When in Modem Mode, only one port on your Hub 5 will work - this will be Port 1. Once you have connected this up to your equipment, you'll just need to give your Hub 5 a quick reboot and it will then be configured on our end. You'll then need to configure your equipment as per the manufacturer's guide.
@shecal to get your Hub 5 into Modem Mode, you can follow the guide here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/reboot-or-reset-hub and then selecting the "Putting the Hub into modem/router mode".
Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

I think Virgin Media need to update the advice they give on modem mode for Hub5. Rather than a solid white light it appears to present a solid green light. Also the Hub5 is still contactable by browser on 192.168.100.1 using the attached router's Wi-Fi. i.e. an Ethernet cable connection is not required.

Very smooth install Virgin, thank you.

Just to reinforce Reece's point:

On my Hub 5 in modem mode, port 4 did not work. Port 1 does work, I suspect that no other do. Port 1 is apparently capable of speeds up to 1Gb/s, perhaps more.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Only one port can be used on any VM hub while in modem mode. So 1 to 4 are 1 Gb ports on Hubs 1 to 4. On the Hub 5 ports 1 to 3 are 1 Gb and port 4 (red) is 2.5Gb. 
Hub 5 is the only Hub at present to have this 2.5Gb port. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Reece_MH

I would like to use Hub 5 in Modem Mode, are you sure the only port working will be the #1? can not use it instead of the #1, the number #4 (2.5Gbps)?

in this other topic:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-5-Is-it-true-you-cant-use-2-5gb-WAN-por...

seems that some people have the hub 5 in modem mode using the port #4 (2.5Gbps).