cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first time fibre installation

sushil87
Joining in

Hi Hivemind. First time getting Fibre optics piped into our house. Openreach haven't got to us yet so VM was the only option to get decent speeds but wondering how they get it into our house? I know the brown box on the wall is just a drill through situation, but what about actually getting the fibre cable to that external box? we have a wall and paving slabs at the front of the house and wondering if they'd need to dig those up to lay the cable? Has anyone any experience of this? I have an 80 year old dad having a mild panic about the whole situation

4 REPLIES 4

Client62
Legend

Same situation here the Openreach FTTP service is out of reach by about 500 meters. Worse no FTTC.

In our case the fibre tube is shallow under the lawn and crosses a flower bed to reach the house.  There are installations in this area where the fibre cable has been run under front walls and under flag paths in gardens.

The brown OMNI box mounted on the external wall does not control where the cable enters the house, the engineer will run a cable from the OMNI box to the desired point of entry.   Take a look in advance at where you would prefer that to be and try to avoid internal power cables or heating pipes.

When the install occurs, pay close attention to the location of the fibre and avoid damaging it with a spade or fork.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sushil87 wrote:

Hi Hivemind. First time getting Fibre optics piped into our house. Openreach haven't got to us yet so VM was the only option to get decent speeds but wondering how they get it into our house? I know the brown box on the wall is just a drill through situation, but what about actually getting the fibre cable to that external box? we have a wall and paving slabs at the front of the house and wondering if they'd need to dig those up to lay the cable? Has anyone any experience of this? I have an 80 year old dad having a mild panic about the whole situation

Firstly, if other customers in the road have the standard brown box on their house

Virgin omniboxVirgin omnibox

this is not fibre, it’s copper coax in common with 95% of VMs existing network. The fibre only goes to a cabinet up to 1Km away. It is the technology that enables VM to provide fibre download speeds over these connections.

They will lift paving slabs, but if you would rather do that yourself it will save time on the day.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

For comparison here is a photo of an OMNI box for FTTP/RFoG  area & with the cover open.

Medium_IMG_1352.jpgClient62_1-1676127291147.png

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi sushil87, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am happy to hear that you are interested in the service and we would always cable in the least amount of disruption. 

Do you have an Omni box installed on the property yet? 

Kind regards, Chris.