cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ethernet ports on hub 4 no internet

sheikyormunny
Joining in

ok wifi all good , no issues, but i plugged a cat 8 brand new cable into the ethernet socket on the back of the hub 4 and the other end i have going into an 8 port switch , the ethernet is connected but no internet over the ethernet is active , how do i make it live ?, been on this for hours now...

15 REPLIES 15

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

wifi good says you are in router mode so lan ports should work - remove the switch and just try one device wired - if that works its obviously the switch if it does not work try a different lan cable after that if it does not work do a full reset

if all that fails it suggests the hub is faulty

Tony.
Sacked VIP

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Test the switch with two PC with static IP's and ping each other allowed by the firewall. If it works you need a router with 1Gb ports then put hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

ok update , i took it out of the switch and put it direct to my archer d9 router , and then come from the router to the switch and that works , internet over ethernet ok, but i didnt want to have the router there, i just wanted it direct into the switch ,when i put it direct to the switch from the hub , it just says unidentified network , no internet ????

no idea what you are talking about there buddy , or how to do what you suggest, im a network beginner

switch works so you need to use a router with it and hub in modem mode

ah ok , so i still need the extra router there , so to confirm, i cannot just add an extra 5 port switch direct to the virgin hub while its in router wifi mode ?

and also if i switch it in modem mode , is it the case i can only use one of the ports from the back of the virgin modem as i seem to have read somewhere before , and witch one is it ? or can i use any of them ?

@sheikyormunny wrote:

ah ok , so i still need the extra router there , so to confirm, i cannot just add an extra 5 port switch direct to the virgin hub while its in router wifi mode ?

Well your tests seem to show that

@sheikyormunny wrote:

and also if i switch it in modem mode , is it the case i can only use one of the ports from the back of the virgin modem as i seem to have read somewhere before , and witch one is it ? or can i use any of them ?

yes only one works any one and locks to a single source MAC

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

why does he need a second router to solve the problem - i agree it will improve the wifi but if the hub ports are not working that should be resolved before spending on a router

your mantra of modem mode and a router with one gig ports is tiresome and is not the answer to the problem - it is AN answer but is wrong initially

Tony.
Sacked VIP

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

why does he need a second router to solve the problem - i agree it will improve the wifi but if the hub ports are not working that should be resolved before spending on a router

your mantra of modem mode and a router with one gig ports is tiresome and is not the answer to the problem - it is AN answer but is wrong initially

Tony.
Sacked VIP