cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cable running along the top of fence

Jo1208
Joining in

I need to change the fence and gate that vm cable is attached to. Fence needs changing because it is old. However once I do this, there won’t be anywhere for the wire to be attached to over the gate. This is obviously a safety risk if left on the top of the fence and if put at the bottom of the fence it will be a trip hazard. 

Because I’m not a vm customer myself, the only way I seem to be able to contact anyone in the company is by the automated chat bot, and I have to go through the painful process of trying to get a real person.  Three times now when I eventually get to a real person, they take my details, apologise that nothing was done last time and promise to solve the issue quickly. Always a complete waste of my time, as no one every comes out to look at it.

It just needs to be embedded in the ground (like it should have been done in the first place). The really annoying thing is that I’m not even sure if anyone is actually using it in the block of flats!

Sorry to rant but I’m becoming frustrated as I’ve had to cancel the fencing company twice now.

Any ideas on how I can get someone out to look at the cable / embed it? Is there any ruling about where the cables are run?

Or even how I can actually speak to someone at vm? When you call up, it asks for your vm phone number, which as a non customer I don’t have, then it won’t let you get any further! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jo1208

Thanks for coming back to us. 

When was this visit booked in please and how did you do it?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You might be able to get some help from the VM forum team on here and posting some photos of the current cable arrangement, and what you want to change, will probably help them to understand your situation better.

Cables running to shared properties/flats can be complicated to deal with. There may be historical agreements in place regarding the installation of the cable and also who actually owns the land/property the cable runs over is an important consideration.

Are you the freeholder of the property/land the cable crosses or a leaseholder/tenant?

Usually the VM forum team can arrange for someone to come and look at the current setup and advise on what can be done.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Jo1208,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am very sorry to hear of the situation you're having with the cable and some potential changes you're making to your fence/wall that will likely impact this. I can see that you're mentioned you're not a Virgin Media customer - do you happen to know the neighbour that this cable is connected to?

Would you also mind providing some photos of the cabling and the wall/fence you're referring to so we have a better idea of the situation and can advise further from there?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

166EB67A-EACD-4042-A1A7-C55C8818EB14.jpeg

I’m not sure if anyone is still using virgin media in the block of flats I’m living in. Apparently engineers will be coming to look at it (according to the person I last spoke to online) but it’s been months since I first reported it and it’s really holding up work now. And every time I’ve contacted the online help, they have said it will be looked at in the next week and I hear nothing. 

Hi Jo1208

Thanks for coming back to us. 

When was this visit booked in please and how did you do it?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi looking at that if you don't hear or get something done by virgin in what you consider a reasonable time scale, I would go ahead with the work, and drape the cable the way it is on the old fence on the new one. Regards Micky

I haven’t actually been able to get to the stage of booking an engineer to come out. I’ve contacted via the chat function on the vm website. Each time I’ve been told I will be contacted with 2 weeks to book in a time slot. I reported it back in April, then followed up in May and June (via the chat function). I’ve had to use the chat function to report, as I’m not a customer and all other ways of contact rely on you having an account or vm phone number. 

Thanks for the suggestion, however I’m not able to do this as the there won’t be anywhere for it to hang over the gate, so it would pose a tripping hazard. 

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for coming back to us @Jo1208

I'm so sorry to hear the team haven't been in touch as advised, I'm going to send you a PM for some more details. 

Please look out for a notification in the purple envelope located in the top right hand corner of your screen. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide