cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brown box broken and random wiring

Merv124
Joining in

The brown box on front of our house has been in a bad state since we moved in a decade ago and finally the case cover no long will stay in place without tape, leaving the wires exposed to elements. Ive attached photo below. Also would like to identify if the wire, that is splitting off and not entering the house at the router point, is actually doing anything/functioning.

DSC_2240s.JPG

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Have you followed the white and black cables from the splitter in the foreground to see where they go to and if they are connected to anything at the other end? The splitter does not appear to be connected to anything.

There seems to be a phone cable in the foreground of the photo. Do you use a VM landline from a conventional wall socket?

Your connection appears to be the black cable coming into the brown box joined with a coupler to the white cable going up the wall.

VM should repair your wall box FOC.

cable from the street runs up and seems to be split in 2.

one goes into a single connector which then runs into the house at the hub. Landline goes through the hub.

the other half of the cable from street is then connected with some loose wires (the ones wrapped around the thin black cable in picture)  that runs along front of house and into side of a study (never used since i been there)

The white cable through the splittter seems to head off up into the loft but unable to chase it further in the loft (perhaps it goes to the aerial in teh loft), the black cable in the splitter runs into the side of study.

in the study there is old phone/ntl boxes, none working and when engineer originally fitted virgin said that they weren't operational.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

From that description it sounds like the only cable in use is the incoming black coax cable linked to the white cable going straight up the wall.

If you get your VM landline via the hub then the phone cable is probably redundant too.

If you want all of those connections tidying, and the redundant ones removing, you should probably book a VM technician visit which would cost £25. The technician could repair the brown box too at the same time.

If you just want the brown box repairing then VM should do that FOC.

One of the VM forum team should reply here within a day or two and arrange a technician visit for whatever the work is you want doing.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Merv1234

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making this post regarding your brown omnibox, I am sorry to see that it is in a bit of a state. I would like to schedule a technician visit for you to get this tidied up. There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

I shall send you a private message now to obtain the details required. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right corner and get back to me when you can!

Best wishes,

Serena