cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'be aware if you switch me off your virgin media services will stop working' on plug

HelloWorld1
On our wavelength

Recently moved house and the Virgin Media engineer who came out re-installed our services with a plug that says on it 'Be aware- if you switch me off your virgin media services will stop working' .

I need to unplug this plug as it has been put in really awkwardly, the wire is stuck under my tv cabinet and I cannot move the plug next to it, which I now need to unplug to move elsewhere in the house. 

What exactly happens if I pull it out? Will services just need to reboot? Will it be off for hours? Will I need an engineer? It's not very clear and I haven't seen this kind of installation before in all the years I've been with VM.

Also why are they used? Since it's been installed this way I've lost a few HD channels too but have not been able to be in for an appointment so haven't reported it yet. Would a signal booster sort it instead? Can the installation be done another way? The move of services cost me £20 and it doesn't really feel like value for money to have dodgy coverage and a plug I'm worried to knock.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes this plug usually supplies an HDU so if you disconnect it all Devices off the HDU will loose signal until you plug it back in.  It is safe to unplug though 

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Post up some photos of what this is and where it comes from and goes to

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Screenshot_20210703_212022_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

plug looks like this...

Same issues here. I moved house and they messed my:

1) Name on the new contract

2)didnt add my discount and price went up +£13

3)contract length,adding +1year

Virgin media can't do anything right. I'm like, even if you are intentionally trying to **** up,  how can you mess so many things up? LOL

plug2.jpg

plug looks like this if it helps, goes to a big white unit with a green light, cables from that got to hub and tivo and main cable from outside goes through it too 

I've had all of that too! Just want to tidy my wires and don't want to lose all the services while I do it. Yo even have to ask that now. At least the community people are all very helpful, they've helped me out a lot .

Yes this plug usually supplies an HDU so if you disconnect it all Devices off the HDU will loose signal until you plug it back in.  It is safe to unplug though 

thanks! as long as I can unplug it to tidy the cables and move things away that's all I need. The warning on the plug makes it sound much worse, but my box needs rebooting often enough for that to be like just another normal reboot then!

thanks again for the advice,

Lisa.

Shouldn't need to reboot it more than once a month.  What are your upstream and downstream power levels?  Log into hub settings 192.168.0.1 then goto ADVANCED > TOOLS > NETWORK STATUS and copy and paste your upstream and downstream levels

data2.jpg

do you mean this page or do you need the more detailed ones on the next tabs along?