Menu
Arturjonski
Tuning in
Message 1 of 59
Flag for a moderator

another hub router,Will work or not

Hi guys quick question. my hub 3 is piece of....

I want to switch it of and reapleace with hub 2ac.

I want to get 1 from ebay because last time technician took it when repleaced with hub 3.

Will it work like plug and play ?

or it needs to be dedicated somewhow to mine virgin account?...

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 59
Flag for a moderator

Re: another hub router,Will work or not

No equipment from eBay will work.

If you don’t like the Hub 3.0 as a router, your only choice is Modem Mode with your own router.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Arturjonski
Tuning in
Message 3 of 59
Flag for a moderator

this hub 2ac its from ebay but VM one..

someone upgraded and got old one left..i had no issues with my old one..but it was taken by technician and i was given new one 'better'...

..and i just want to back to hun 2ac

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 59
Flag for a moderator

... and as I said - you’ve wasted your money and the eBay seller likely knew that. Ask for your money back.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Arturjonski
Tuning in
Message 5 of 59
Flag for a moderator

i havent bought it yet..

what im trying to find out is.

if i swap my hub 3 with your hub 3 for example. is it gonna work plug and play and i couuld use any hub 3 without any authentication etc? ?...

And what kind of router i need if want to buy new? I know its not adl not dsl so what type exacly?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 59
Flag for a moderator

You cant swap Hubs about - each one is rented to your account and is "locked" to that account. VM are very reluctant to even re-activate the SH2/ac that were left behind after Hub3 upgrades - very few have been successful.
You need a gigabit cable router - lots of recommendations on here - depends on your budget and what extra features you want

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 59
Flag for a moderator

@Arturjonski wrote:

i havent bought it yet..

what im trying to find out is.

if i swap my hub 3 with your hub 3 for example. is it gonna work plug and play and i couuld use any hub 3 without any authentication etc? ?...

And what kind of router i need if want to buy new? I know its not adl not dsl so what type exacly?

What part of "it won't work" don't you understand.

Virgin is a closed system. Unless you are issued the kit directly by Virgin & hence it is linked via your account to their systems, all you are buying is an expensive door stop.

VM's systems know which optical node each piece of kit is connected too. If the kit is moved elsewhere it gets disabled automatically.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 59
Flag for a moderator

I’m not sure why you would want to swap one Hub 3.0 for another Hub 3.0 but it wouldn’t work anyway.

All Virgin Media equipment must be supplied by Virgin Media and correctly registered on your Virgin Media Account.

Given my Hub 3.0 works perfectly, supplying my contracted speed, even by WiFi, I have no information to give you on the best  router, should you wish to use your Hub 3.0 in Modem Mode.

I’m sure there are other on the forum who can advise you.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Arturjonski
Tuning in
Message 9 of 59
Flag for a moderator

I need to max 100£..

my broadband is 100mb dont need much extra..

stable conection and dual band..thats it..any recomendation pls?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 59
Flag for a moderator

Not directly as I use all Apple gear. But £60-100 will get you a very good and capble cable router. The Asus/Netgear/TP-Link ranges gets lots of support on these forums. Look/search in the Networking &WiFi forum - there are loads of posts from satisfied customers with pointers and instructions on how to set up.  Get one with a high AC - >AC1200  Here are some of the best - albeit pricier ones...

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/pc-peripheral/best-wifi-router-3217482/

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.