cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would an adaptor allow me to connect my router?

Safibeth
Joining in

Hey, I recently bought a router with the self setup service. I'm renting my flat and realized we don't have a box. We do, however, have these two cables coming out of the wall which are able to plug directly into the router. When we've tried that, the router switched on but the main light flashed green (Check connections). My question is if buying one of these adaptors (below) would allow us to connect our router without having to install a new box? The issue is with getting our landlords permission as they are very difficult to reach.

Thanks 

Possible adaptor

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 9.09.20 PM.png

The cables in our wall

IMG_0329.jpg

 The cable that came with our router

IMG_0331.jpg

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the Hub has plugged in ok (on both cables ??) just leave it for a while to see if it initialises - the base light should go steady white.

If it continues to flash green them its likely thet the Hub has not been activated properly

Call the equipment activation number on - 0800 953 9500 – you will need the serial number/MAC address off the barcode sticker and also your account number.

If they confirm its activated, there may be a fault on the connection - get them to check it

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the connector you show will certainly allow you to join the quickstart cable to those coming out of the wall but twin cables like that scream of Sky - is it in fact 1 cable split to the 2 ends - if so that is certainly sky and looking at your photos that certainly looks like sky shotgun cable - if you have been sent a quickstart then VM have installed there before so assuming thats sky look for another internal box or cable and try that

if you can find nothing then

not all installs have an internal box

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - if there are non look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - as said it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

its not uncommon for sky to cut the incoming VM cable and feed their cable through the hole

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Safibeth

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear about the issues with activating your service

Have you been able to get this sorted yet?

If not, I have sent you a private message to gain account access

Please ignore it if you dont require any assistance

Gareth_L