cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workmen cut outdoor cable

JoeAdey
On our wavelength

As the title suggests, today some workmen redoing our drive have sliced through the internet cable, which they said was both not buried too deep and lacked any kind of protective casing (not sure if this is too relevant but I thought I'd put it here anyway). The woman who answered the support call has suggested that while we wait for a fix (which apparently will take an agonizing 10 days) we should try our own repair using "connectors" and "patching the wire up" that way. 

I'm assuming off the bat that this advice is bad and I'm not going to act on it, but if someone here can say otherwise that would be a great relief as 10 days without internet in a household where people work from home is going to be devastating. Any advice would be fantastic. 

8 REPLIES 8

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

joining the coax is asking for trouble on your and all other connections from the cab - if you have a standard phone line then you could do that if its urgent

will flag the thread and see if staff can get things moving a bit quicker

Tony.
Sacked VIP

JoeAdey
On our wavelength

Thanks Tony, I appreciate the helping hand. When you said about the standard phone line (which we have), what did you mean? (Also I initially marked your answer as helpful instead of voting it up, but I took it back because I wasnt sure if that would make the thread less visible. Sorry!)

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

good idea to remove the helpful answer flag - it should not matter either wat as i have flagged the thread

the standard phone line uses one half of the twin cable - the thicker one is coax thats the internet - the thinner part is phone - should be 4 thin wires in it - they will be colour coded - if you split the twin cable and have any slack then you could connect the 4 phone wires - twist them or use a domino connector and tape them - only 2 are actually used the other 2 are spare - there will be a pulsed voltage - not big but can sting a bit especially as [like i do] you use your teeth to strip the wires LOL

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JoeAdey

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us 🙂 

I'm sorry to hear this, I appreciate this is frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

I'm going to send you a PM for more details. 

Please look out for a notification in the purple envelope located in the top right hand corner of your screen. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

JoeAdey
On our wavelength
  • Screenshot_20211004-163613_Snapchat.jpg

Is this the cable in question you were referring to Tony? The phone/internet one? I don't plan to try my luck at it but it would be nice to know just for clarifications sake

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

yes thats it - if thats both pieces of the cable theres plenty of slack - they can joint it and protect the joint in a gel box - if its being buried under a drive then you might want to push for a new cable but that will delay things - at worst i would get them t put ducting over it to give it some protection - but i am not sure techs carry that 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

JoeAdey
On our wavelength

Luckily that portion of the drive will only have gravel on top of it, and isn't being buried under slabs. I'm sadly going to have to leave it to the Virgin engineers to sort in 10 days time it seems, and use mobile data until then. Thanks for all your help Tony.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JoeAdey

Keep us updated with how the visit goes, my apologies for the previous inconvenience.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs