forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Mackeybean
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Wired networks

Hi,

im getting the 600mb t’internet installed on the 11th March. 
I’m wanting to connect as many devises with a wired connection as possible. I’ve a couple of questions,

how and where is the split for the broadband? Is it from the hub or direct from the external box? 
I can run Ethernet cables around and through the house no problem. Will the engineer that installs put in all my required cabling etc or if I install the cables myself before he/she comes for them to connect to? My friend is an AV engineer and has supplied me with a drum of cat6a cable and can get me anything else I need. 
or will the engineer not connect to what I have installed?

ive just moved in and wanting to get on with plastering/decorating as I didn’t expect such a long wait on install. 

many help/advise welcomed

steve 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wired networks

All VM wiring has to be done by VM as it’s special co-ax. So TV boxes and Hub are done by VM.  All the Cat 6 cables are your responsibility and VM will not do this work. 

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Rising star
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Typically they install it where the box inside is then run a coax cable to where you want, or add another point within the house. The Hub only has 4 connection points so anything over that and you'll need a switch or router to run more wired connections, as for your install - they won't connect any devices up with ethernet. They test the connection works by WiFi then move on.

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The engineer will install Coax cabling and the hub. What you do after the hub is entirely up to you. So feel free putting your cat6a cable everywhere. Once the engineer is finished and your hub is installed simply plug your network leads into the back. If you are doing your entire house with cat6a you might like to purchase a switch as well, or if you really want to go fancy, by yourself a WiFi router or 2 as the WiFi on the VM hub isn't the best. 

What you shouldn't do is install any coax - let the engineer do all that. If you want the hub in a specific place, you might want to make a duct for them to pull through the coax cabling. 

0 Kudos
Mackeybean
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

But the co-ax cannot/does not run to computer etc?? 
I’m getting two tv boxes...will they both have the co-ax or will the second one rely on WiFi alone? It’s an old house with big thick stone walls, WiFi will be limited. 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Z92 wrote:

<snip> If you are doing your entire house with cat6a you might like to purchase a switch as well, or if you really want to go fancy, by yourself a WiFi router or 2 as the WiFi on the VM hub isn't the best. 

I would go one further, use a PoE switch and put a couple of good AP’s in the house. Something like Unifi AC Pro’s. No need for additional routers or mains supply as they are PoE.

0 Kudos
Mackeybean
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I’m not even going to pretend to understand what you just said.
So I can put up to 4 Ethernet cables through my house for various devices. then if my WiFi is crap upstairs, say, I can plug in one of these above mentioned machines via the Ethernet give me a strong WiFi signal on that floor. 

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Adduxi wrote:use a PoE switch and put a couple of good AP’s in the house. Something like Unifi AC Pro’s. No need for additional routers or mains supply as they are PoE.

Exactly how my house is wired, but people who aren't as technical will go "Eh? Wah?". It's far easier for them to go down PC World, buy another access point and shove it upstairs 🙂 

To OP: 

The hub and any TV boxes require coax (it's cable-tv remember), but any internet access is done via the hub, so you'll need either ethernet cabling or WiFi for that. If you plan on using stuff like NetFlix via your TV box make sure they get ethernet if your WiFi is going to struggle, as that is delivered over the internet connection. 

Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Mackeybean wrote:

I’m not even going to pretend to understand what you just said.
So I can put up to 4 Ethernet cables through my house for various devices. then if my WiFi is crap upstairs, say, I can plug in one of these above mentioned machines via the Ethernet give me a strong WiFi signal on that floor. 

You can put an unmanaged switch beside the Hub, so you could have up to 24 ports to plug into. Or add a switch upstairs and have more ports there as well. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you run into trouble then do this buy a better router use hub in modem mode more ports buy a switch connect to your router .

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos