cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi socket Open Reach

Lohill
Joining in

Hello, my Virgin media WiFi equipment has arrived. I only seem to have an OpenReach wall cable socket. Does this mean I cannot have Virgin media?Thank you for any advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM & OpenReach insfrastructure are totaly different to eachother, & on different street networks.

It doesn't mean you can't have it. It just means:

1) A former resident has removed the required socket. Or

2) The installation was non-standard & you just have a coax cable coming in which will require an adaptor.

For 1 above you will need a manned installation, so you will need to call up and arrange this.

Have a look around & see if you can find the incoming drop line from the street on your outside wall. This is usually a dual cable with a phone wire attached to a bigger coax cable.

If you cannot find this either then you do have problems, as removed drop lines require another team to attend in addition to the work required inside.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM & OpenReach insfrastructure are totaly different to eachother, & on different street networks.

It doesn't mean you can't have it. It just means:

1) A former resident has removed the required socket. Or

2) The installation was non-standard & you just have a coax cable coming in which will require an adaptor.

For 1 above you will need a manned installation, so you will need to call up and arrange this.

Have a look around & see if you can find the incoming drop line from the street on your outside wall. This is usually a dual cable with a phone wire attached to a bigger coax cable.

If you cannot find this either then you do have problems, as removed drop lines require another team to attend in addition to the work required inside.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks