Menu
cc1979
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wifi booster

Received my free wifi booster kit from VM and followed all the instructions to set up. According to the booklet (and app) once the wired and wireless boosters only show the power light they are working correctly. But no, the wifi one is not working at all. Once I completed setup I moved it into the room where I had no signal. My phone's wifi reports 'failed to obtain IP address'. Even the app can't now detect that booster is installed.

I've tried factory resets on both wired and wireless boosters, manual syncing, rebooting everything. Still no joy.

I don't have an ethernet port on any of my devices to connect to the larger wifi booster and access the settings.

Can anyone please help?

I have a Superhub 3.0 and the booster is PG-9072LG-VM.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi booster

Just to make sure, you are plugging both Powerline units into ring main sockets in your house & not socket strips. Also that they are on the same consumer unit & are on circuits that do not have an RCD between them.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
cc1979
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Yes both going into mains sockets. On different circuits but same consumer unit. What is RCD?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi cc1979,

The adaptors work best when they are on the same circuit. An RCD is a device that monitors the current going through its circuits and if it detects any changes to the electricity flow it shuts off the circuit.

Have you been able to try the boosters on sockets within the same circuit to see if you still experience issue?

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
cc1979
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't know whether there's an RCD but the reason for getting the booster was because I have a black spot in the kitchen. My hub is in the living room. So it seems this is not going to solve my problem as they are on different circuits. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have you been able to check whether the boosters work whilst they are on the same circuit? If they do work is there anywhere on the same circuit that you'd be able to plug in the send part of the kit where the WiFi signal would reach the kitchen? As long as the WiFi signal covers the area where the blackspot is located it doesn't need to be located directly in that area.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
cc1979
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've plugged it in in the hall, which is on the same circuit as the living room and it seems to work OK in the hall but still getting no signal in the kitchen as it must be too far away. Thanks for your help Tom but it looks like this isn't going to solve my wifi problem. I will just have to put up with no wifi in the kitchen!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My apologies for this cc1979.

^Martin

0 Kudos
cc1979
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Martin but not your fault! VM should be a bit more transparent about what they mean by a 'booster'. My new property has solid walls so wifi was going to be a problem, they should not be touting this as a solution unless they have asked questions about the electricity set up first. Now I have 2 useless 'boosters' which are actually powerlines, that they will claim are their property and if I ever downgrade my package they will charge me for! 

0 Kudos