cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Pod Connection Problem After Upgrading to Hub 5

JohnWMentor
Dialled in

I was wondering if someone can help me, please? I just upgraded from a Hub 3 to the new Hub 5, which seems to have connected and works alright. However, I have an Intelligent WiFi Pod in another room and it seems to be having problems. Does it need to be reset somehow after a Hub upgrade or should it just adapt to the new equipment?

I've been monitoring it for several hours. It initially kept pulsing white, but after I switched it off, unplugged it and then plugged it back in again, it's been pulsing green.

17 REPLIES 17

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

a hub upgrade needs the hub or the pod [not sure which] to be reconfigured  - wait for VM to get to the thread to confirm either way

Tony.
Sacked VIP

JohnWMentor
Dialled in

The WiFi pod is still not working today. It's obviously having problems connecting to my Hub 5. I do really need it sorted ASAP as my parents rely on it for various things.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Lots of Hub5 users are reporting that the Pods do not work on the Hub5. looks like a general issue that VM will have to sort.

Until its sorted, one solution would be to buy your own wireless access point and connect it to the Hub. Decent ones start at ~£40.

Or lobby to get the Hub3 back on - do you still have it ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

That's a pain if the Pods don't currently work with the Hub 5. I do still have another WiFi range extender from TP-Link, but I'm not sure if it'd work with the Hub 5 or be capable of the speeds the Hub 5 is.

Let's hope Virgin can rectify the problem soon.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Waiting for a VM solution to this could be a long wait given their track record. Hub4 users still cannot use the connect App several years after its launch. Hub3 users had to wait almost 2 years to get the infamous "Puma Chipset" issue fixed (well a workaround actually) - hat made gaming on a Hub3 a nightmare

Extender should work fine with the Hub5 - just try it - speeds will depend on what model it is - what is it?

I suspect if its an inexpensive range extender it will have a number of issues re. speeds. First it will probably only have 10/00 ports - so will max out at 100mbps. And if its just extending a wifi signal its not really boosting it just retransmitting what it is already receiving so wher its located will also limit speeds

If it's not really helping, we can recommend other solutions if it doesnt help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

as John asked - do you still have the hub3 - they should reactivate that if you do - i assume the hub5 was by invite - if so with the pod problem is it worth bothering with 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Crazy idea, but it might be worth giving it a go as I think it might be possible. Go into  the old Hub3 with an Ethernet device that you have given a hard wired address of 192.168.0.250 when it is not connected to the VM cable. Go into the hub and try giving it an address of 192.168.0.254, ideally you want to turn off DHCP or change its range. Now plug it into the Hub5 and see what happens. If you have connectivity, see if the plumes work. What we are trying to do is run the Hub3 as a bridge, not what it is designed for. The plumes are only connected to the LAN side so logically the above should work, but it depends on what you can configure on the Hub3, something I am unsure of.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

It's a TP-Link AC1200 RE305 model. It's meant to be capable of 867Mbps on 5Ghz or 300Mbps on 2Ghz. I've reinstalled it and it seems to be working, so far. I'll see how things go with it, but will remove it if I still have problems or if Virgin solve the issue with their own WiFi pod.

are you paying for the pod - if so you need a conversation with someone to have that refunded for the period the pod is not working and as said above that could be a while 

Tony.
Sacked VIP