Menu
IainMC
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Why is Virgin Media customer support so appalling???

Have spent 6 weeks and hours and hours trying to get through to Virgin Media re: my new Broadband basic setup for Universal Credit customers at £15 per month.

Initial setup did not go as planned when Router delivered to my new address, but Virgin have billed me incorrectly from that date at £44 per month erroneously by Direct Debit.

Now some 2 months on, with evidenced (saved) call logs and complaint reference numbers by phone, post, and web, I now feel that I have no option but to cancel my direct debit and receive a full refund.

I will take this matter to CISAS, as I have spent countless hours, as logged, on the phone being passed from one department to another, providing evidence of my U.C. eligibility, having talked to countless personnel, all duly logged and webchat saved, and nobody I have spoken to seems to have the 'power' to action this anomaly. Having looked at the Virgin website 'community', I can see that this company is not functioning well. So, all I want now is to have confirmation that my Direct Debit with Virgin Media is cancelled immediately and that to be acknowledged.

I am currently sourcing another Broadband provider. However, my incorrect billing lasts until next month with Virgin media, so, I can only trust that paying over the odds, I will remain on Broadband connection until then.

Perhaps by then, Virgin Media will be able to credit me duly for the overpayments they have taken from my account perhaps plus an incredibly poor service 're-imbursement' of the countless hours I can evidence as speaking to all manner of agents supposedly working for Virgin Media from the UK to India and to the Phillipines etc., A complete fiasco.

If I didn't know better, I would think that Virgin Media is about to go 'bust' at the complete lack of power/action any of the multifarious call-centre staff I have spoken with online and by phone. Being in holding queues both by phone today at 1hr 30mins and 27 seconds exactly is recorded, plus almost 3hrs by web-chat today, duly recorded, as just one day of trying to get what to me is a simple matter resolved. All to no avail. So, I will take action with the ombudsman at CISAS tomorrow and then perhaps I have to claim a rebate via the Scottish Small claims court?

Mindbogglingly awful customer service by Virgin Media. I will, of course seek to 'vent' on this 6 week epic of trying to rectify this issue on social media and the wider 'watchdog' press. Even looking at community websites of Virgin media supposed 'service' and accounting for vagaries with the Global Viral pandemic....I have never in 60 years ever experienced such poor customer service or regard, de-facto.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is Virgin Media customer support so appalling???

note that you can only take it to CISAS once you have exhausted the virgin complaints process and essentially got a deadlock (or no response after the set period of time).

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/Code-of-Practice-Ap...

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Why is Virgin Media customer support so appalling???

Constant practise probably!

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

one suggestion though, don't just cancel your DD.
that will not help you, and you will only end up with debts and your credit rating being hammered.

0 Kudos
e110074
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am in the similar boat. Trying to modify a package that involves the removal and adding of services cannot be done online. They can only upgrade online. To cancel your direct debit, you would have to send them a recorded delivery letter of notification of cancellation first, with your details and providing an ultimatum to resolve the matter (within 7 working days etc.) citing all of the times, logs etc so that it's on record, and perhaps even showing potential costs for your time, and if they fail to resolve, then you are fine to cancel your direct debit as it's an agreement between both parties, which both have obligations to meet. I would check your credit rating as you may need to send another to get a blip removed. I had this with Orange mobile back in the day. They were not providing the level of service I was paying for, so rendered the contractual obligation null and void, but still put a blip up on my credit score even after notifying them that I was cancelling and why. The process took over a month, but something to watch for, if you have access to Experian etc. 

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ultimatum? really?

if you want to cancel in writing then you do so as per the Ts&Cs of your contract, no ultimatum is required, it's part of the terms of the contract.
regardless, simply cancelling the DD without confirming first that your contract has, indeed, ended is foolhardy at best.

0 Kudos
e110074
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely, you can cancel the DD beforehand, but only as a last resort, as contractual law will always supersede the individual T&C's, but the OP claims to have been trying to get in touch for 6 weeks, so I assume they have looked at the automatic compensation scheme and other things than just attempting contact. 

But if you have attempted for weeks on end, and exhausted all avenues and are getting no where, it doesn't leave any alternative but to start the process of recorded delivery letters, with an ultimatum, so that you have a record of an attempt at resolution. 'Termination by performance' and 'termination by frustration' could be genuine causes. I only put 14 days, as 30 days would be a reasonable standard, but if the OP has been trying for 6 weeks it is enough to be able to commence a legal dispute, by which point the provider cannot place any blemishes (or at least they're not supposed to) onto credit files, while in dispute. 

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As stated, no ultimatum is required.

One of the approved methods of cancelling is by writing to them at the correct address giving your 30 days notice.

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@spgray

I think its out of order you showing off your perfect internet connection while other customers are struggling to get basic connection.

But on a different note I can't seem to add picture to my signature.. only option i see is text 😞

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Out of order? That made me laugh.

0 Kudos