Menu
debs109
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Why does your Customer Service suck so hard?

I decided to make the switch to Virgin Media Broadband and signed up to towards the end of Dec 2018. I was told in a week an engineer would install the services in my home. A week passed and there was no sign of an engineer and no communication from Customer Services to explain the absence. So I called, and I was told there was a construction issue, which will be resolved "shortly" and a new date will be arranged. A few more weeks passed and there was still no update. At this point I was calling at least once a week to get an update but I was always told by an agent the same thing but never any specific detail. 

After about a month I became agitated and had the opportunity to speak with a supervisor where I was told that the issue is that they were waiting for permission from the council to undertake the construction work and that someone will be in touch with me "shortly" once this is obtained. 

Fast forward to 3 months later and we're now at the end of March. Not once have I received a call from customer services to update me. So I called once again, and had to be quite unpleasant to finally get some answers. As it turns out, the construction issue is that there are no cables in my area and it would be a huge undertaking to install these cables and the wait time for this could be up to a year. 

When I first signed up shouldn't your team have been aware that there are no cables in my area, and forewarned me that this might be an issue?

When you sent engineers to survey the area and you discovered there are no cables, why didn't anyone ever bother to call me to let me know that I could be potentially waiting for a year until I can use your services?

Why did it have to take me 3 months of chasing you to finally get some answers - not to mention completely unsatisfactory answers - who the hell would be willing to wait a year for Wifi? I suspect you were aware that this would make me pursue other providers which is why I was kept in the dark so long.

It's funny that your sales team say that there are hardly ever any issues once your services has been installed but they fail to mention that the installation is an issue in itself! 

If I had not spent so much time and effort chasing you customer services team I could have sat in the dark for up to a year not knowing what the hell is going on, because your team clearly can't be bothered to update paying customers.

I am disgusted by the abysmal standard of customer care you show, and I will be telling everyone and anyone that will listen how sub-par you really are.

chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does your Customer Service suck so hard?

but you're not a "paying customer" are you? you aren't even a customer yet, so the bit where you said "because your team clearly can't be bothered to update paying customers" isn't really relevant here is it?

is it something you need to get upset about? probably not.
be a little miffed about? probably yes.
enough to waste any of your time on. definitely not.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I don't take the same view of debs 109's tale at all. I think VM do have a case to answer here. We see a lot of miscommunication or failure to communicate between VM and its customers and potential customers. There is an awful lot of truth in the reaction that this issue with cabling should have been spotted well before an order was taken,  or when it was taken as soon as possible after it was determined that the address was un-serviceable with cable. 

VM's database of post codes and serviceable property should have flagged this one up as un-serviceable. But the world isn't perfect and nor are VM's databases. Still when it went wrong it should have been put right.

The VM Forum Team staff will pick this up shortly and comment. They should be able to feedback the issue to VM staff in the right part of the organisation. Who knows it could make a difference to others for the future?

debs 109 was entirely right to bring this to VM's attention. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML wrote:

debs 109 was entirely right to bring this to VM's attention. 

i never said she was wrong to do so, just pointing out that part of her argument was flawed.
and pointing out that in the greater scheme of things it's not worth bursting a blood vessel over.
if it was me i woulnd't have hung around for 3 months and certainly wouldn't have kept chasing them for an update. after a max of 4 week without update i would have moved on to find another provider.

dnpark38
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

chenks, you have come over heavy to someone asking or telling us other customers about VMs failure, the OP says "signed up" so in my book they are a customer waiting for delivery.

If VM can't supply in a reasonable time they should have got back to the OP and mutually closed the order.

"VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone."
chenks
Community elder
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

if we're going to debate the definition of "paying customer", which was the term used, then you're not a paying customer until the service is installed and you start paying for it.

up until that point you are a prospective customer, or a customer "to be", and certainly no money has changed any hands.

i agree they should have got back in a more reasonable time, i wasn't debating that. however as the "council" were mentioned then who knows how long it took for them to get back to them.

we're only hearing one side of the story, let's remember that.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

but you're not a "paying customer" are you? you aren't even a customer yet, so the bit where you said "because your team clearly can't be bothered to update paying customers" isn't really relevant here is it?

When handling complaints, CISAS regard "customers" as including people who have requested a service.  I think that chenks is being rather disingenuous to try and excuse VM's crap performance on account of the fact that VM have been so shambolic they've not go round to installing a service and setting up an account.

Reading the original poster's comments, they seem reasonable, not over the top, and reflect the appalling performance of VM in most matters of customer service.  I've been a customer for years, but any recommendation I could make of VM is heavily caveated by the dismal communications capability of Vermin Media, and its world-class awfulness at all forms of customer service.  I know that many individuals (eg retentions, forum team) do their best, but the reality is that they are fighting a rearguard action against a complacent and shoddy corporate culture, and senior management who don't give a tinker's cuss.  I don't work for VM, but I do work for a similarly inept large customer service business in another sector, so I know full well that when a company treats new prospects with disdain, the whole culture is rancid.  

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Evening debs109,

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community 🙂

Truly sorry to hear of the experience you've received, it's disappointing to hear and I can certainly see why you would be upset over this as I appreciate it's a long time to have to wait for any answer. 

If we're waiting on permissions from local councils/ third party contractors this can take some time, but I agree you should have been kept in the loop.

I'm going to pop you a PM (little purple envelope in the top right hand corner) so I can get a few details from you so I'm able to feed this back.

Kind regards,

ALEX_RM

chenks
Community elder
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

When handling complaints, CISAS regard "customers" as including people who have requested a service.  I think that chenks is being rather disingenuous to try and excuse VM's crap performance on account of the fact that VM have been so shambolic they've not go round to installing a service and setting up an account.

again, at no point did i excuse the performance.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

again, at no point did i excuse the performance.

Apologies!  I withdraw my statement that you did, although I do hold to  the view that VM are exceptionally poor at customer service and don't need to be.  At work I'm the one fighting the rearguard action against my own complacent and inept management, and perhaps this personal engagement is making my responses a little tetchy.

0 Kudos