Menu
ClairevR
Just joined
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Why can’t I get Virgin fibre but neighbours can?

I have recently moved to a new address but  found that I could not transfer my Virgin broadband services with me. Apparently, there is no Fibre cabling available for this property, however, I have spoken with neighbours and they are able to get a Virgin service. When I switch WiFi on for my devices, I can see a string of VM / Virgin WiFi signals from the area. 

When I called the customer services they just keep saying they will let me know when fibre becomes available for my property, and even confirmed that multiple homes on my street have a Virgin fibre line. 

From what I understand, Virgin has cable to property (rather than cable to cabinet). My neighbour’s door and my door is literally next to each other, so I can’t see why the service is not available. 

I’ve asked for an engineer to be sent out to check, as I suspect it is probably a minor thing to resolve. I’ve been with Virgin for  close to a decade at my recent previous home, but now that that account is closed because I moved, I’ve been told they cannot escalate the enquiry because I’m not a customer. 

How can I get someone to come look at what the issue is? 

0 Kudos
ClairevR
Just joined
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why can’t I get Virgin fibre but neighbours can?

And this is in London. Not a village in the middle of nowhere. 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It could be that there is over subscription in your area. VM do not always let you know that. A VM staff member may be able to help, but it could take a day or two. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good Morning ClairevR,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums!

Have you been able to have any contact with the previous tenant at all?

In some cases we can find that tenants or landlords can remove all cabling from their properties if they no longer wish to use the services or if they simply don't want the cabling in or on their home any longer. If this were to be performed this would therefore make the house non-serviceable for future tenants. 

This could be the reasoning for this property being non-serviceable 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That’s a cop out. I see no earthly reason why if previous tenants/owners removed internal cabling that it cannot be reinstated. Seems to me that VM just don’t want your business!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
chenks
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

That’s a cop out. I see no earthly reason why if previous tenants/owners removed internal cabling that it cannot be reinstated. Seems to me that VM just don’t want your business!

which is entirely up to them.
they have no obligation to provide service to anyone.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ClairevR wrote:

When I called the customer services they just keep saying they will let me know when fibre becomes available for my property, and even confirmed that multiple homes on my street have a Virgin fibre line. 

From what I understand, Virgin has cable to property (rather than cable to cabinet). My neighbour’s door and my door is literally next to each other, so I can’t see why the service is not available. 

I’ve asked for an engineer to be sent out to check, as I suspect it is probably a minor thing to resolve. I’ve been with Virgin for  close to a decade at my recent previous home, but now that that account is closed because I moved, I’ve been told they cannot escalate the enquiry because I’m not a customer. 

How can I get someone to come look at what the issue is? 

In established cable areas Virgin use HFC (Hybrid Fibre Coaxial), so unless the area was cabled in the last few years it will be fibre to a master cabinet usually within 500 metres, & then copper coaxial to the smaller street cabinets & to customers.

It could be a utilisation issue preventing new connections, but it could be a number of factors (block paved drives or roads, incomplete ducting to name a few) that make it uneconomic to service your property. It is not a former customer removing the cable that will stop you having the service. VM are repulling cables & reinstating formerly cabled properties all the time.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos