Menu
jason_2801
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why can't I get Virgin Broadband but my Neighbour can

A little while ago Virgin installed fibre optic to my street and i thought I would get it but when they had finished digging up my shared drive and left it turns out I can't get it.

I have tried every method going to get someone to look into why I can't to no avail I even had a guy come out and look and said he would get back in touch and I never heard from him again.

I have filled in the form on the website that says we will be in touch within 10 days to you know whats available probably 20 times and no one gets in touch. 

I have phoned up and 'Someone will get in touch' and nobody does its as if they dont want the business.

I don't even mind paying for the installation within reason I just want faster than 0.5mb internet access.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why can't I get Virgin Broadband but my Neighbour can

Engage the Virgin Media complaints process.  From what I see round here, that won't help you, in particular because VM are so hide-bound and bureaucratic that they'll probably insist they can't take complaints from people who aren't customers, but you have to try that before you subsequently complain to CISAS, the industry arbitration service, and their definition of "customer" does include those who want a service but aren't connected.

Or you could try the old staple of writing to VM's CEO at their head office, pointing out the idiocy of them saying they can't connect you when they've already dug up your drive.   

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

and their definition of "customer" does include those who want a service but aren't connected.

surely that could be everybody in the entire country?

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

'you could try the old staple of writing to VM's CEO at their head office.......'

virgin do not have to supply a service to anyone. they are a private company.

the ceo certainly wouldn't be interested. they manage the company not deal with potential/current or former customers.

there is no complaint to win. virgin are not legally bound to do anything.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

virgin do not have to supply a service to anyone. they are a private company.

You clearly misunderstand the purpose and point of complaining to the CEO.  If there's a VM connection already under the original poster's shared drive, then there's no physical or logical reason why Vermin Media can't connect them, other than the company's special brand of bureaucratic stupidity.  For no reason other than VM's inability to listen to the prospective customer and the company's lack of common sense, they are refusing to connect a new customer whose connection costs would be minimal, and whose income potential is around a thousand quid a year.  That's a far higher return on a very small investment than the problematic Project Lightning.

Of course the CEO doesn't read his own letters (far too important and remote from customers to lower himself to that.  But writing to the CEO invites his representatives (there's often a dedicated team of complaint handlers for this) to look at what's coming up, and what can be deflected.  It embarrasses the commercial and field ops directors, and its an easy fix - just shout at the field ops team to clear off and connect the customer.

The fact that VM don't have a service obligation is irrelevant, and that's not the purpose of writing to the CEO, which is to say "your people don't know their bottom from their elbow and are turning down an easy and profitable new connection"

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

oh please with the "vermin"!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi jason_2801

Welcome to our community. We're ecstatic that you want to join our Virgin family and we understand that you just want an answer when our services will become available to you.

Unfortunately we do not have an answer for you question. It may be down to a number of things why we cannot supply you with our services at this present time. Our network team do not give us specifics as to why certain streets are not yet up 

As you have already filled in our cable my street forms on many occasions we would not recommend trying this again. I do apologise that you have not been contacted within the 10 days, this may be because we do not have any dates for you.

We will let you know as soon as our services will be up and running in your area.

Jodi.

0 Kudos
jason_2801
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ooRe: Why can't I get Virgin Broadband but my Neighbour can

Hi Is it not possible for someone to come to my property and look at why I cannot get it.

Its not a question of waiting till it becomes available in my street as it is already available the only house in my street without it is mine.

My shared drive was dug up in order to install the cables without my consultation and I had to endure the whole installation process for a month without any benefit at the end.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: ooRe: Why can't I get Virgin Broadband but my Neighbour can

We understand Jason_2801, have you tried calling our Sales Team on 0800 183 1234 to see if they have contacts for spotters to visit your property?

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: ooRe: Why can't I get Virgin Broadband but my Neighbour can

A year or so ago VM was pilloried in the press and by the regulators (big fines) for "over utilisation" i.e. connecting more customers than the infrastructure was designed for.
Ever since then they have tightened up and will not connect new subscribers if the maximum number for that locale has been reached.
Could be that.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos