cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which box connection is better NTL or virgin

Ethangagey
Joining in

I have both boxes but i wanted to know if either are better than the other as i have the both but the NTL(older is in a better place) so can i use that without making my connections weaker?

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

They are both the same (NTL bought Virgin Mobile & became Virgin Media). The age of the outlets makes no difference anyway. I have two from when County Cable installed originally in 1993 (which became Telecential, then Comtel, then NTL, then Virgin Media). One isolator has been changed but everything else back to the cabinet is original.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I have two boxes in my house a NTL one and Virgin one are they both exact same and connected to the same line or will one give me a better connection than the other

So can i use that NTL box instead of the virgin media one without losing any wifi speed was thinking that the NTL box wasent even connected to the optic fibre line as its that old?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Please don't raise duplicate posts. I expect one box was for TV and one for a hub. You cannot tell which is active, both might be. Nobody is going to be able to tell remotely. You could ask for a VM technician's visit, but as it's not a fault there will probably be a charge of £25.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ethangagey wrote:

So can i use that NTL box instead of the virgin media one without losing any wifi speed was thinking that the NTL box wasent even connected to the optic fibre line as its that old?

The line isn't fibre, it's copper coax cable. 95% of Virgins network is Fibre to Cabinet with coax local distribution. Even in full fibre the fibre terminates at the front wall & converts to coax.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks