Menu
jay152152
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Where has project lightening gone?

My property was weeks away from getting ducts and cabinets and overnight virgin media moved out on mass leaving lots and lots of homes left without the new service after putting in cabinets and ducts to literally half the same street as me and neighbouring streets.

Has it stopped or when is it coming back????

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Where has project lightening gone?

its possible they finished the install and not all the backend and hardware for cabinets needs installing. Laying the ducts and installing the boxes is only the first step

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
jay152152
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

No far from finished thats my point

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

maybe they have encountered an issue that means they can't continue.
bottom line is that you won't know if or when you may get service until it's actually done.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

It has occasionally happened that VM abandons an area like this. I've never quite understood why as digging and installing ducting is the most expensive part of providing service.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

It has occasionally happened that VM abandons an area like this. I've never quite understood why as digging and installing ducting is the most expensive part of providing service.

Usually its just poorly planned expansions, some projects needed to be cut to fix a financial strain so some things will just get abandoned, we had a similar thing where morissons went and built an entire store right up to being retail ready and then decided they didn't want it anymore so leases it out to another company lol

0 Kudos
jay152152
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Yeah really badly planned I mean seriously why bother right.

They have prob 70% of work done and even switched some streets on but just literally left the rest.

If you start something finish it or don't start it at all it looks really bad on the company as a whole when they do that.

Trying to get answers is like banging your head against a brick wall which is also massively frustrating.

Just come back finish the small amount you have left to do and reap the rewards

chenks
Community elder
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

you need to remember that virgin have no obligation to provide service to any property.
all decisions are made purely on finances and whether it's good for the business.
they have decided that the rewards will be less than the the cost to expand - thus they cease the works.

you yourself wouldn't keep throwing money at keeping a car on the road if the costs outweighed the benefits, so why should virgin do it just because it upsets you?
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

"Just come back finish the small amount you have left to do and reap the rewards"

the small amount left might still be £millions. people say the laying of ducting is expensive. Have you seen the cost of some of the line cards for a street 🙂

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

See this article from The Register dated August 2019: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/08/08/virgin_adds_another_130k_lightning_premises/

Quote: "The business had originally planned to connect 4 million premises to speeds of 300Mbps by the end of 2019, but that aim appears to have been quietly dropped."

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos