forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
RCreed543
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What time does a contract begin?

My contract date for broadband begins Thursday the 27th, the day the quickstart kit is due to arrive.
I'm however due to arrive at the house the day before.

In the mean time I have my old router, would internet be supplied to the house immediately after midnight Thursday? Earlier?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: What time does a contract begin?

Your old Hub is tied to your address so will not work at the new place.

Your new Hub will not work until it is activated ...

Hub Activation number -  0800 953 9500 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
RCreed543
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry my bad, I didn't fully describe the situation properly.

I've lived at the house for a few years with virgin supplying internet, but left it vacant since March and stayed elsewhere.

That account was closed in June, but a new account was made with a new contract starting august 27th.

Would the old router that was used for 2 years prior work in this situation?

What should happen if it were to be plugged in on the 26th, would there be no broadband supplied and if so, would there be broadband supplied on the 27th?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you are getting a starter kit it is a new contract. 

The new Hub will not work until the new contract date and it is activated.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
RCreed543
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'd like to know if broadband is supplied at midnight, or if it's "some point in the day", and if it will work with the old hub

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

On the first day of the contract the broadband starts at the time your Hub is connected and activated.

It may work with the old Hub but it will still need to be activated

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As Mike says, the service is provided after activation, so anything upto 30 - 45 minutes after you have called to activate. 

The cable normally isn't disconnected, unlike BT. But you'll get an authentication error if the hub connected to the line doesn't have a valid account (this would be the case for your old hub). This is what activation does - it links the hub you have connected to your account so it can access Virgin services. 

0 Kudos
RCreed543
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

Is that to say the physical hardware of the hub is linked to a certain account number and may not be unlinked?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I get the feeling that are are wanting to use your Hub from the previous contract in the very early hours of the contract date.

You may be able to but it will need to be activated.

If you swap Hubs at a later time the replacement Hub will need to be activated.

Z92
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The MAC address of the router is linked to your account, so if you change the router you need to inform Virgin to get the old router removed and the new router added. When you end your contract that router is simply barred from the network as it's not associated with an account any longer. 

If you have a router which is already on an active line and working, you can sometimes take that router and connect it to another line and it sometimes works, sometimes does not. I don't know the reasoning, it might have to be in the same area. I know the same road works as a neighbour has tried it - probably because it was on the same cabinet.