Menu
al3c
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What's the cost of M50 Fibre Broadband after the 12 months contract?

unbelievably enough the website doesn't say that.

That's what I'd need but without knowing the long term cost seems a difficult call to make.

I just know it's 37/month for the first 12 months:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: What's the cost of M50 Fibre Broadband after the 12 months contract?

they probably don't list it now because they don't know what the price will be in 12 months time due to various price increases that always happen.

they can't even guarantee that the first 12 months price will stay the same.
0 Kudos
al3c
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

But the broadband and phone packages have it!

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/compare

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

take the M100 package then.
it's cheaper tthan M50 during the 12 months.

it's possible the M50 package doesn't have a 12 months introductory price, and that's just the price it is all the time.

0 Kudos
al3c
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

take the M100 package then.
it's cheaper tthan M50 during the 12 months.

it's possible the M50 package doesn't have a 12 months introductory price, and that's just the price it is all the time.

This still doesn't answer my question. (and note that the page specifically states that the price for the M50 only is for the first 12 months)

But since we're here: I already have a virgin contract for 50mbit + phone and I'm ending my 12 months, and I don't need the phone.

The question that I'm really trying to answer is: if I downgrade to just broadband 50 how much will I pay? I'd imagine that would be the non introductory rate for the just broadband 50, but that is unknown.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

if you sign in to the virgin website you'll see the prices that are applicable to just you (i believe).
however, i believe you'll end up paying more if you drop the telephone - broadband only package tends to not be cost effective.

virgin work on the policy of bundled discounts.. ie the more you take the less each part costs.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Its almost always cheaper to have a VM broadband package with a phone line, and since you don't have to use the phone line, it makes sense to select that package.  The VM web site doesn't list all available deals, but if you look at (say) Uswitch, then a 50 Mbps line with phone is £2 a month cheaper than the deal you linked to on the VM website.  As chenks says, for the twelve months you'd still be better off with a 100 Mbps and phone deal, but of course the price doubles at the end of the contract.  Personally, I recommend friends and relatives avoid all the big ISPs who use these heavily discounted introductory offers.  If you actually ENJOY phoning up VM's call centre every twelve months and haggling to get a better deal, then by all means.  If you've better things to do then consider smaller Openreach ISPs who often have much better customer service as well - people like Zen Internet, Aquiss, uno, IDNet.

Visit  ISP Review.  And Which?.   

0 Kudos
al3c
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I absolutely hate the concept of introductory package I routinely ignore the teaser rate and just compare the "long term" one.

I don't enjoy having to call VM and I find it ridiculous you can't downgrade a package from their website, I'll probably have a look at other ISPs or make the dreaded call with VM and try to get a damn 50M broadband without a phone (even if it saves me 50p) whose price won't change in 12 months.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

as above, it most likely won't save you anything.
you'll probably end up paying more.

and they 100% won't guarantee that the price won't change in 12 months. every price always has a * next to it explaining that the price may change.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"it most likely won't save you anything.  you'll probably end up paying more."

That's true, but for some of us there's still a logic.  I recently re-contracted my 200 Mbps line for a modest discount, and I turned down a much cheaper 12 month offer of 500 Mbps and the full fat TV offer.  Yes, I'd have saved money on the 12 months, on the other hand, if I paid even a single month at the full rate when the discount ends, it would wipe out virtually all of the savings.  And since I don't max out my 200 line, and what little TV I watch tends to be via Freeview, Netflix or Prime, all of the gazillion channels that VM were offering had zero value.  Even cancelling after twelve months would involve the hassle of returning the probably unused TV box, and ICBA.

"and they 100% won't guarantee that the price won't change in 12 months. every price always has a * next to it explaining that the price may change."

For those who don't like the VM (and BT, Plusnet, Talktalk, Sky) business practices, it is worth taking a look at Zen Internet's "lifetime price guarantee".  I don't believe it's bullet proof against all possible circumstances, on the other hand it will certainly avoid the vast price jumps that VM routinely inflict on customers.  And having recently dealt with both Zen sales and customer support I can categorically say they're miles better than VM's awful service.

0 Kudos