cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this cable for?

sambloor
On our wavelength

Hi, I just moved into a new house and in one of the rooms I have found the attached wire coming in to the room from the Virgin Box at the front of the house.

Please can you let me know what it is used for and if I’m missing any adapters etc?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

You have a single cable coming into the house. As there are two rooms with a cable the incoming cable may have been split (in which case a TV box or hub can be connected in the front room and it will work) or only one cable is live (in which case a tech is needed to split the cable). You don't buy anything as the tech will provide everything that is needed.

One thing to note is that if the hub and TV box are in separate rooms there is sometimes a problem in the TV box getting a good connection to the hub if the WiFi signal isn't good (so an Ethernet cable is best).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

why are you confusing things? where did the OP ask about free services? they didnt so why muddy the water with a statement that has nothing to do with question?

Thanks, @Lordoftime79.

We already have Virgin TV, Internet and phone, so we're not looking for anything free.

We just moved into this house and I saw this connection coming into the dining room and wondered if we could put it to good use.

We already have the router and TV set up in another room using the QuickStart Kit.

Thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@lordoftime79 wrote:
why are you confusing things? where did the OP ask about free services? they didnt so why muddy the water with a statement that has nothing to do with question?

It is quite a reasonable response to give. All I am stating is a fact. The OP does not mention until post 7 that they were subscribing to Virgin. It was asked as to what the cable could be used for. Many people think they can just plug in a TV & get free channels, so I was just “covering all the bases”.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks