cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What colour cable wires in external box

GBarker
Joining in

Hello, 

could anyone tell me what colour the outside box wires should be for fiber optic, we have brown wires and black wires running up to the bedroom.

are these colour wires fiber optic because the wires outside have never been changed and we just upgraded to M500 because apparently we cannot get M600 in Hanley but on the website it says we can. M500 speeds never reach 400mbps she said it may take 24 hours.

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

everything is as it should be there and you are on 500 - any speed upgrade should only change the config file so to see a massive difference in speed after the upgrade is odd

you can turn off smart wifi but if it was on when you were on 350 it should not matter but worth turning off anyway - if the speed upgrade reset the hub then it would turn on as all settings revert to default - so also check the wifi bands are split

you can obviously go back to 350 - within 14 days not 30 and it may then give good speeds -  stranger things have happened but logic says something else has changed

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You wont get more than 400 over wifi

Why were you expecting the cable to be changed ?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The cables are coax unless you are in one of the few areas with fibre direct to the home. The coax cables externally from the street are black and go to an outside box, called an omnibox. From the omnibox cables go to the internal devices, hub and V6/TiVo. These cables can be white or black, never seen a brown one. Brown ones are normal TV coax cables.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Eeeps
Well-informed

@Tudor wrote:

The cables are coax unless you are in one of the few areas with fibre direct to the home. The coax cables externally from the street are black and go to an outside box, called an omnibox. From the omnibox cables go to the internal devices, hub and V6/TiVo. These cables can be white or black, never seen a brown one. Brown ones are normal TV coax cables.

Actually, old installations by Nynex or NTL used brown shotgun cables from the street side cabinet.

I have a brown cable on the street side and given the external dimensions I can't believe it is triple screened.

GBarker
Joining in

Thanks for the reply’s, 

I thought being on M500 that they would of installed Fiber optic cable, and I’m using wired connection on ps4 pro until my pc comes. Ps4 pro it hit 400Mbps once. Speedtest on my ipad never goes over 300Mbps. The lady who upgraded me today gave me some speech about if I don’t get the right speeds I can leave virgin media contract straight way like she new the m500 on hub 3 was faulty.

Guess I’ll have to wait for the PC to come on the 30th april to fully test, I have until the 12th may to revert back to M350. I used the asus rapture gt ac5300 with the M350 and had way higher ping in Warzone. I hate this hub 3 it says on the postcode checker I can get M600 in my area with hub 4 but you have to have the tv box phone sim the Ooomph package or jog on, pretty greasy when you just want broadband (stable).

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Hub3 can do 600 also

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@GBarker wrote:

Guess I’ll have to wait for the PC to come on the 30th april to fully test, I have until the 12th may to revert back to M350. I used the asus rapture gt ac5300 with the M350 and had way higher ping in Warzone. I hate this hub 3 it says on the postcode checker I can get M600 in my area with hub 4 but you have to have the tv box phone sim the Ooomph package or jog on, pretty greasy when you just want broadband (stable).

i highlite something you say above - any change of package or new install only usually has 14 days cooling off period - assuming you made the change in the last day or two you suggest a 30day period - i have never seen that before - is this a verbal indication from an agent - if so i would suggest they are wrong and if you want to revert after 14 days it would not be honoured

if you have it in writing - text - contract - email or letter then you would need that

Tony.
Sacked VIP

She said to me in hanley s-o-t that you have to have the full package to get M600 that’s tv , phone , movie packages and that, when we just want stable internet with a new hub 4 before this hub 3 gets stamped on. The speeds now are terrible on the M500.