cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What cable do i need please

ttilmo
Joining in

Hi I want to buy a new cable that goes from my internal wall box to my hub as the one i have is not long enough. I can't seem to find out what cable i should be buying i.e is there a name for it etc. The only ones i see are to extend a cable and they are male to female connectors where as i think i need two male ones. Thank you

14 REPLIES 14

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Putting in extension coax cable yourself is a recipe for trouble unless you have a good understanding of broad-spectrum radio frequency systems, understand the hub's status data, and the possible consequences of simply adding in a length of cable.  Even then it's against VM's terms.  There's plenty of web sites that offer cables that promise "VM compatible", but that is no guarantee - both because despite the claims, the quality may not be up to the high standard of shielding that VM's cable systems require, and even if it is, putting in a longer cable can cause signal power levels to drop, leading to slow speeds or unreliable connection.  VM's cable might look the same as satellite coax, but you can't assume that it is the same.  Fitting your own supplied cable can also create a situation where inferior cabling on your hub creates problems not on your connections, but on the connections of VM customers around you.

If you phone in and book a VM "non-fault call out", it'll cost you £25 for a technician to come out, put in a new cable to the necessary standards, check that the hub performance and power levels are correct.  And if there's any problems in future the extended cable and relocation are all "official".   I reckoning twenty five quid is a bargain, since by the time you've bought the necessary high grade cable and connectors yourself you'll have spent half of that anyway.  Or if phone contact with VM fills you with dread, hold on here and forum staff may be able to book you one. 

Thank you so much for your help. I understand what you are saying but i have just moved into a new house and the setup is terrible. there is a cable coming from the wall box for about three meters then a splitter is attached then another cable added to the hub which is in the opposite corner. I am decorating the room and the splitter is too bulky to go under the carpet.

This is the cable i was thinking of getting

1STec 7m Gold Plated Male to Male Virgin Media Extension Cable with Cable Clips + Female Joining Cou...

Do you really think this is worse then the current setup? I really do appreciate your input. thank you

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Looks a good quality item, but you still have the problem that adding ten metres of cable could cause deterioration in power levels.  Up to you, I really would pay VM's very reasonable £25, and the technician will sort any changes to cabling you need, including longer or shorter lengths, moving the splitter and so forth.  It's a no-brainer to have VM do it.

A while back, VM charged non-fault call outs at £99, and at that time there was a certain logic (still in breach of the terms) of trying a third party cable and seeing what happened.  Since the charge has been reduced that logic doesn't wash.  If you install a third party cable and that does cause problems, then any technician visit may be regarded as a non-fault call, so you're then £13 down for the cable, £25 down for the call out, and if VM feel strongly about the matter they can terminate your contract, although I suspect that's rare.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if its a new self install then ring it in and says its not working - jut unplug the hub - they should send a tech - again if its a new self install you can say the setup is not as you want it that would be true if you dont want or need the splitter - adding to the above removing the splitter will certainly affect the signal levels so you really need a tech

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi ttilmo,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

As Andrew-G has advised there is a £25 charge to move the equipment, if you're happy for us to arrange this let me know and I can pop you over a private message.

Alex_Rm

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Alex_RM wrote:

Hi ttilmo,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

As Andrew-G has advised there is a £25 charge to move the equipment, if you're happy for us to arrange this let me know and I can pop you over a private message.

Alex_Rm

i thought on a self install it was free to move the hub if it is not where the user wants it - if its a tech install then it should have been installed as the customer wants it

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Sorry for any confusion around the equipment relocation charge. When seeking clarification on this I have been advised:

"If it's a self-install and a customer realises that they can't install then it would be a manned conversion and free of charge. If it's a self-install and they change their mind on location once they have received their equipment but have already installed it then it would be a chargeable appointment."

I think this would fall into the first category and would be unfair to charge on this occasion. Please get back to me via PM ttilmo and we'll get this sorted out for you.

Tom 

What happens if you've got Virgin tv already, but upgrade to ultimate volt, and want the original virgin box moved to a different room?

i assume the fitter must come out to wire up the minibox etc so would he move the main box downstairs as part of the job or would there be a charge?

cheers.

Hi @Cawsie,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

The fitter would be able to move the box to a different room for you after they have fitted the new box in the room that you want it in, there shouldn't be any charge for this to be done.

Regards,

Steven_L