cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Gives With Kelly's And Missed Appointments?

aliburns
On our wavelength

So I was on holiday the week before last and kept getting messages from Google Home about disconnected WiFi points. Discovered on Sunday 14th the hub was not connected and earliest appointment was for Thursday 18th.

Engineer told me on the 18th the cable was damaged and they would need to pull a new one and had an appointment confirmed for Friday 19th between 8am and 1pm. Cometh the day not cometh the man, woman or robot. A web chat at 1.30pm assured me I could relax and the work would be done by 6.00pm. A phone call at 6.30pm assured me I could relax and the work would be done by the end of the day,

Saturday 20th I texted back the number confirming the original appointment and was told they had received an email from Kelly's and the work would be completed today i.e. Saturday. But it was not.

Sunday 21st I called and was told there was an appointment for today, Monday 21st between 1pm and 6pm. I checked my online account and good as their word the appointment was showing. Unlike Kelly's who are probably now sitting down to Manchester United v Liverpool in 4K if they are with Sky or Teletext graphics if with Virgin.

So 3 appointments missed in 4 days, nothing from Virgin Media to say that it was re-scheduled, why it was missed or anything else. If I hadn't followed up I would probably only have heard something if I cancelled my direct debit.

Currently on a WhatsApp chat I started at 5.30pm in the justified expectation today's appointment had been missed and I was not disappointed from that point of view.

8 REPLIES 8

jem101
Superstar

@aliburns wrote:

So I was on holiday the week before last and kept getting messages from Google Home about disconnected WiFi points. Discovered on Sunday 14th the hub was not connected and earliest appointment was for Thursday 18th.

Engineer told me on the 18th the cable was damaged and they would need to pull a new one and had an appointment confirmed for Friday 19th between 8am and 1pm. Cometh the day not cometh the man, woman or robot. A web chat at 1.30pm assured me I could relax and the work would be done by 6.00pm. A phone call at 6.30pm assured me I could relax and the work would be done by the end of the day,

Saturday 20th I texted back the number confirming the original appointment and was told they had received an email from Kelly's and the work would be completed today i.e. Saturday. But it was not.

Sunday 21st I called and was told there was an appointment for today, Monday 21st between 1pm and 6pm. I checked my online account and good as their word the appointment was showing. Unlike Kelly's who are probably now sitting down to Manchester United v Liverpool in 4K if they are with Sky or Teletext graphics if with Virgin.

So 3 appointments missed in 4 days, nothing from Virgin Media to say that it was re-scheduled, why it was missed or anything else. If I hadn't followed up I would probably only have heard something if I cancelled my direct debit.

Currently on a WhatsApp chat I started at 5.30pm in the justified expectation today's appointment had been missed and I was not disappointed from that point of view.

Well yes, had you cancelled the direct debit, then you would definitely have heard, but it would have been from a firm of debt collectors after VM had gleefully run up extra charges, trashed your credit rating on the basis of non payment and then handed the whole mess off to said debt collection agency! So really don’t do that!

OK so right now do you have no connectivity at all? If not, and please tell me that you have registered it on their website, then you are entitled to compensation of £8 and some pennies for each day, there is a fudge factor of not being entitled for the first two full days but still. Now missed appointments, and importantly, only if you need to be there, are rated at £25 compo to you for each missed one. Now as I said, only if you have to be there, so VM’s contractors digging up the road, unless you are needed to help with a kango hammer, won’t count.

Oh, and if you read some of my and other’s accounts and interpretation of VM’s ‘Carry On Constable’ approach to installations, repairs and general communications with their contractors, you will soon learn to regard what you are told by customer services as being slightly less reliable than the Daily Mail horoscope predictions.

Now if and when it does all goes hideously wrong, and VM do a ‘not our fault gov, err the tide was out at the wrong time, plus the moon wasn’t in the right phase, so you aren’t entitled to anything, then just come back here and we can advise as to your next course of action.

John

aliburns
On our wavelength

Thanks for responding, less interested in the compensation more in not having to do a software development job via a Pixel hotspot, having a TV service that doesn't get rebooted every 5 minutes for several minutes, watching football with the goal being scored before the LiveScore alert and in Virgin's lesser version of HD on Sky Sports. As for feeding my Google Nest Wifi so the rest of the household can get broadband, no way.

@aliburns wrote:

Thanks for responding, less interested in the compensation more in not having to do a software development job via a Pixel hotspot, having a TV service that doesn't get rebooted every 5 minutes for several minutes, watching football with the goal being scored before the LiveScore alert and in Virgin's lesser version of HD on Sky Sports. As for feeding my Google Nest Wifi so the rest of the household can get broadband, no way.

No worries, now the thing about VM’s (and to be fair every other ISP) residential / home connection is that they come with absolutely no SLAs or really any guarantees at all. So if there is a fault which means no broadband for a month, sorry did you lose a lot of money due to not being able to work? Tough! Here’s  £8 a day compensation, and you’ll probably have to fight to get that!

Yes, hotspotting via Pixel phone really doesn’t sound like fun, but you need to take some action yourself, you cannot rely on any single ISP if your job depends on connectivity. Think about another connection from a different supplier, even if it is much slower on headline speed, it’s good insurance. In the meantime, can you get a 4G or 5G router on a rolling monthly contract to tied you over?

aliburns
On our wavelength

Today's 3rd missed appointment has been changed to tomorrow 1pm to 6pm so at least that will save me contacting VM at 1.30pm but rather spoils my evening having to contact VM again.

aliburns
On our wavelength

So they finally turned up today. Replaced the cable and still I have no internet access. Made another appointment for Thursday for an engineer.

Hi aliburns

Thanks for coming back to the thread - I am sorry for the delay in getting this sorted.

How did today's visit go?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

aliburns
On our wavelength

So Wednesday the original engineer appeared prior to the booked appointment. Somebody from the VM Twitter team contacted the area manager.

He checked the cabling then tried a different hub and suddenly all worked! My theory is the cabling was fine but the hub died during the heatwave. Anyway back on track. Last reported speed around 880 Mbps and plugging in a Google Nest WiFi still faster than using the native Hub 4 WiFi.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey aliburns, thanks for your posts and updates.

We're glad to hear you've managed to get the issues sorted out after the latest visit, thanks for letting us know it's all up and running for you now.

Please, feel free to get back to us should you face any issues with your services in the future, always happy to assist.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs