cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak WiFi - Netflix and Prime stopped working

bdw
Up to speed

I have been using Netflix and Prime for some time but for the last couple of months it has become impossible. The problem seems to be a weak signal. When I check the signal level on my TV it reports about  25% to 50%. I am on fibre broadband with a Hub 3 and 200 Mbps.

I checked the signal level with the hopeless Virgin Connect app and it says it was "Great" before crapping out on me. Now it won't connect either.

Should I be getting a new Hub or booster or whatever?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for confirming your details @bdw

I have booked the first available appointment for you and confirmed the details via PM. If you need to re-schedule, you can via your online account

Do let us know how the visit goes. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150

In the meantime, post your power levels and network log from the Hub.  Also consider setting up a BQM to monitor your incoming circuit.  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

I would also recommend you cable the connection to your TV using a Cat 6a cable as wifi is too prone to interference.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @bdw,

Welcome back! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see that your Netflix and Prime is not working.

Please can you tell me if this works on the independent apps?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Yes, it works fine with apps on my Firestick. It's an Intermittent problem. It woked last night but I think it's signal strength issue.

Hi @bdw

I have taken a look at the account and can see there are some issues with the downstream signal levels. I'll need to book a technician to come out and get things sorted.

Will pop you a PM now so we can confirm some details first!

Speak soon 🙂

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming your details @bdw

I have booked the first available appointment for you and confirmed the details via PM. If you need to re-schedule, you can via your online account

Do let us know how the visit goes. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Hi,
I had a visit from a technician and he fixed it. I think he said it was because the signal was too strong and it required to be attenuated but I am still having problems. My hub is upstairs and I am struggling to get a good signal downstairs on my TV and my wife's laptop. This causes problems with streaming services.

I am on the big Kahuna bundle with M200 fibre broadband so I would have thought that it should be better than it is. Am I not entitled to a booster to improve this?  

Hi @bdw,

Thank you for the update on this. I'm glad that the problems with Netflix and Prime appear to be resolved now. However, it's a shame to hear that you're now facing some problems with your Wi-Fi signal reach and strength in the home.

Is this impacting all devices downstairs or just certain ones, such as the TV and laptop you've mentioned? If you haven't already, I'd advise giving these Wi-Fi tips a whirl and also download and used our Connect App. It'll test the connection in your home and suggest improvements where applicable, and also can detect black spots in the home.

I've also seen you mention being on a Big Kahuna bundle, which is one of our legacy packages we don't offer anymore. We don't carry out package upgrades from here on the community forums, but with the above in mind it may be worth speaking with our retentions department on 0345 454 1111 (or 150 from a Virgin Media landline) when you get a moment to do so. They can discuss offers and options with you, and may be able to offer a faster broadband package for a similar price to what you're paying right now.

Keep us posted on the above. We're here to help if you need us.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I am having problems with all devices downstairs including phones, laptop and TV (slow/buffering when using streaming services). I really don't think faster broadband is what's required. This seems to be a signal strength rather speed issue?

Regarding your Virgin Connect app, this just does not work as I am sure you will be aware from the reviews.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virginmedia.simplewifi&hl=en_GB&gl=US

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

On the above response I can see that my colleague had mentioned if you was able to check out the link relating to the WiFi tips, was you able to do that and was it of any help? 🙂

I think the information was provided in terms of the package was on the basis that you could get a better deal than you're on at the moment for a similar price - not for it to fix the issue. 

Cheers, 

Ryan.