cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wayleave consent and flat installation

HarrisonC
Joining in

Hi,

We live on a street with Virgin Media already installed but it is not installed in our block of flats. Our postcode only contains our building and no other properties. 

I have checked the postcode for each of the houses either side of us and they both can receive Virgin Broadband, but when you check our postcode it says nothing is available. 

I understand that we would need to give Wayleave Consent in order for a cable to be installed from the street and a distribution box installed in the flat block. 

I have been searching for a while now but can't find a wayleave or installation team contact details. I have tried speaking to your sales agents but got nowhere as the postcode says it cannot be serviced. I explained the street has service, as evidenced by the postcodes for houses either side of us, but they just transferred me to the accounts department who then transferred me back again.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

A first time installation in blocks of flats is expensive, often well beyond the limited budget set for residential installations.  VM will do it only if they are convinced that they'll make a return, most likely by a high takeup amongst the residents, and that will be a bigger challenge than getting wayleaves. 

I completely understand that, but I would just like to start the conversation.

CityFibre have been a lot more receptive but won't be on our street until March 2024. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@HarrisonC wrote:

I completely understand that, but I would just like to start the conversation.

CityFibre have been a lot more receptive but won't be on our street until March 2024. 

In all likelihood, you may well still be waiting for a response from VM come March 2024. However, one of the VM forum team will reply here to your post within a few days and might offer to take your details (or they may just tell you to register your interest)

https://www.virginmedia.com/postcode-checker/results?postcode=null&uprn=null

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi HarrisonC,

Thanks for your post, and a warm welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you've not had much support in checking the serviceability for your address. As mentioned by others, there are various factors to installing a block of flats with our services, which can become quite costly.

I'm going to send you a private message to gather some details from you, and whilst I can't guarantee we'll be able to install your property or make any changes to the serviceability, I'll certainly see if there's anything we're able to do.

You'll find my message in the top-right, purple envelope.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The big bug with VM is internal wiring.

Most of these blocks have coaxial cabling that is only suitable for terrestrial TV & satellite, not for Cable services. Also they are wired from the top down, not from the bottom up. There also has to be capacity available in the legacy HFC network to support the number of customers that might join.

VMs other option is full fibre, but this might require modifications to the network several streets away in order to bring the service to a handful of people. In most blocks of flats that have VM, the landlord or builder has made a contribution to the cost of installation.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

VM is actually keen to install cabling into MDUs which are within or near the network, but the biggest obstacle is typically getting wayleaves from uncooperative landlords or, having obtained wayweaves, find the landlords unresponsive to follow-up requests for things such as agreeing access. VM finds that this lack of engagement is particularly prevalent amongst local authorities and other public landlords.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection