cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to join Virgin Media

carter69
Settling in

Hi,

Is there any way to speak to someone to join Virgin Media? The web page says we can get the service but they have never run cables to our house and dont want the driveway dug up!

Can they issue by fitting fibre cable from the telegraph pole instead?? Don't want to sign up, book install date and cancel sky  to find can't be done.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @carter69 ,

Welcome to the community! Its great to hear that you are considering joining us.

I totally understand your anxiety around your driveway however our installers are quite skilled and would be able to install a cable without a problem. As a rule with block paving we would lift a narrow row to your house and lay a cable underneath before returning the blocks back to their original state. I am more than happy to take a look at your property and give you my full opinion if you would like? I will send you a private message for the details and take a look to advise in more detail.

Thank you 

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@carter69 wrote:

Hi,

Is there any way to speak to someone to join Virgin Media? The web page says we can get the service but they have never run cables to our house and dont want the driveway dug up!

Can they issue by fitting fibre cable from the telegraph pole instead?? Don't want to sign up, book install date and cancel sky  to find can't be done.

95% of VMs network is not fibre. It's high grade copper coaxial cabling.

1) Coax is not suitable for use in BT ducting due to the small diameter ducts BT uses.

2) Virgin cable install teams are not heights trained.

3) VM only has permission to use BT ducting with Fibre to Home installations in very specific locations where there is no VM underground ducting.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@carter69 wrote:

Hi,

You may struggle to get sensible answers from VM for a speculative enquiry.

As a starting point, do any of your neighbours have VM and how are they connected?

Probably the most common method is via a connection point/cover in the pavement outside the home. From there a cable runs to the outside wall of the property where an external wall box is fitted. Between the pavement and the home, the VM cable is sometimes buried, sometimes lies on the surface in green plastic conduit or can be clipped to a fence/wall etc.

The newest VM installations, via fibre optic, can use different means to connect to the home.

Thanks for your prompt reply. So if the website says we can get then its correct even though no cable run from pavement to the house

Neither neighbour has VM. The house is in essence a middle terrace and set back some distance back from the pavement, so no wall or fence for it to be pegged to and a brick driveway. So does sound like they won't be able to get

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@carter69 wrote:

Neither neighbour has VM. The house is in essence a middle terrace and set back some distance back from the pavement, so no wall or fence for it to be pegged to and a brick driveway. So does sound like they won't be able to get

You may need to look beyond your immediate neighbours to other homes in the street to see examples VM's connection methods.

If VM's postcode checker says your address is 'serviceable' then that means you 'should' be able to get VM. If you have no cable, then VM would need to install one.

Look for the VM connection plate in the pavement outside your home and see where it is located. 

See example at message #2 below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/How-will-my-install-go-i-have-no-VM-socke...

The cover may be branded with a VM logo or say CATV or one of the names of the early cable TV companies.

Hi @carter69 ,

Welcome to the community! Its great to hear that you are considering joining us.

I totally understand your anxiety around your driveway however our installers are quite skilled and would be able to install a cable without a problem. As a rule with block paving we would lift a narrow row to your house and lay a cable underneath before returning the blocks back to their original state. I am more than happy to take a look at your property and give you my full opinion if you would like? I will send you a private message for the details and take a look to advise in more detail.

Thank you 

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

That would be great if you can Jon. Please PM me

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@carter69 wrote:

Thanks for your prompt reply. So if the website says we can get then its correct even though no cable run from pavement to the house

Cables are only pulled to the house when you place an order for the service. If a previous occupant has had the service you would be offered a Quick Start pack to plug into the (hopefully still existent) socket in the house.

Installing to a completely new address is a two stage process.

1) A pre-install contractor team will pull the cable from the cabinet to the service tee on your boundary. Then install the cable across your land to the the termination or drop box on your front wall.

2) A Virgin technician will then install all the internal cabling & your Hub/TV boxes as per your contract.

The above 2 processes usually do not happen on the same day.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks